Judge Massei Sentencing Report     The Meredith Kercher Fund     The Murder Of Meredith Kercher Wiki     True Justice For Meredith Kercher     Judge Nencini Sentencing Report 

Last visit was: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 pm It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 pm

All times are UTC

[ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: ANDREW GUMBEL, "HONOR BOUND" WRITER
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

British author Andrew Gumbel helped Raffaele Sollecito write his self-serving apologia "Honor Bound" which was released by New York publishing house Simon and Schuster on September 18, 2012.

Attachment:
Honor Bound.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ANDREW GUMBEL, "HONOR BOUND" WRITER
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:17 pm 
Links & Gallery Moderator

Raffaele Sollecito has book deal
By Hillel Italie
March 15, 2012

Raffaele Sollecito has a deal with Simon & Schuster's Gallery Books for a book scheduled to come out this fall. Knox's memoir is due next year.

The publisher announced Thursday that “Presumed Guilty: My Journey to Hell and Back with Amanda Knox” would cover his relationship with the American exchange student, their arrests and imprisonment in Italy over the 2007 death of Knox’s roommate, and their eventual release last fall after the convictions were overturned.

Gallery spokeswoman Jennifer Robinson said Sollecito would collaborate on the book with Andrew Gumbel, an award-winning British journalist and author whose books include "Steal This Vote" and the upcoming "Oklahoma City," about the 1995 bombing. Sollecito and Gumbel already have been working on “Presumed Guilty,” Robinson said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/15/apnewsbreak-raffaele-sollecito-has-book-deal/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:24 pm 

Andrew Gumbel

Attachment:
Andrew Gumbel.jpg

Andrew Gumbel is a Los Angeles-based journalist and writer and a longtime foreign correspondent for British newspapers. After covering the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe, the wars in Yugoslavia and rise of Silvio Berlusconi -- mostly for The Independent of London -- he came to the United States in 1998 and has written extensively about politics, the criminal justice system and pop culture. He is the author of Steal This Vote: Dirty Elections and the Rotten History of Democracy in America (Nation Books, 2005).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-gumbel

Andrew Gumbel is a foreign correspondent, mostly for the Guardian and the Independent. His work has appeared in the Los Angeles Times, the Atlantic, Mother Jones and Vanity Fair. Andrew is also the author of Steal This Vote: Dirty Elections and the Rotten History of Democracy in America (Nation Books, 2005) [and Oklahoma City: What the Investigation Missed-and Why It Still Matters (William Morrow, 2012)]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/andrew-gumbel

Andrew Gumbel in the News!!

Attachment:
Andrew Gumbel at UCLA.jpg

http://commstudies.ucla.edu/andrew-gumbel-in-the-news

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 pm 

Raffaele Sollecito Co-Author: ‘Grotesque Miscarriage of Justice’ in Amanda Knox Trial
By Jason Boog
February 21, 2012

After news broke that Amanda Knox landed a book deal for “close to $4 million,” we caught up with journalist Andrew Gumbel – the co-writer working on a memoir with Raffaele Sollecito, Knox’s Italian boyfriend.

Like Knox, Sollecito was charged with the 2007 death of Meredith Kercher in Perguia, Italy, but the conviction was overturned. Last year, Sollecito signed with Sharlene Martin at Martin Literary Management.

Attachment:
Gumbel and Martin.jpg

Our interview with Gumbel (pictured) follows below.

Attachment:
andrewgumbel.jpg

Q: What will Raffaele Sollecito’s book show us that we haven’t seen in the media frenzy surrounding the Amanda Knox case?

A: It’s a rule of thumb that prosecutors dictate media coverage in a criminal trial. They are the ones who bring the charges, and are either vindicated or successfully challenged in court; the texture and the substance of the defendants’ stories tend to get lost. And so it was here. The media coverage focused largely on the yes/no question of whether Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were guilty.

The mechanics of the case from the inside — how they were interrogated, why they were prosecuted even after the most obvious perpetrator, Rudy Guede, was caught and convicted, the behind-the-scenes haggling between lawyers, defendants, expert witnesses, court officials and others — have been revealed only in glimpses, if at all.

Both Amanda’s book and Raffaele’s book are sure to shed light on how and why this grotesque miscarriage of justice arose. I would venture to say Raffaele’s story is even more absorbing than Amanda’s, because it was his family which orchestrated the detective work that made it possible to dismantle the case against both of them piece by piece. It was a high-wire act from beginning to end, and it’s a thrilling tale.

Q: Some people call the book deals resulting from this case “blood money.” What do you say to these critics?

A: The appeals court demonstrated unequivocally in its 144-page analysis of the case issued last December that the case against Amanda and Raffaele was a sham. What happened to them only compounded the tragedy of Meredith Kercher’s murder. Telling their story will not dishonor her memory; rather, it will clarify the factual record and shed light on the gross dysfunctions of a criminal justice system that was willing to put the two of them away for life on the basis of an overbaked theory unsupported by credible evidence.

Amanda and Raffaele can’t bring Meredith back, but they can give everyone the benefit of the truth. It’s an important story to tell. And after all they have gone through — including the huge hit their families took to their reputations and their pocket books — they certainly deserve both vindication and compensation.

Q: You said in an interview that the book will be “a love story” as well as a legal thriller. What are the love story aspects you have explored while working together on this book?

No aspect of this story follows a predictable script, and the relationship between Amanda and Raffaele — before, during and after their incarceration — is no exception.

Q: Sollecito will also have to deal with a number of readers who thought he was guilty before he ever had a chance for a proper trial. What will your book offer these critics?

Not only will the book leave no doubt about Raffaele’s innocence; everything Raffaele and his family have to tell, backed by previously unpublished documents in the case, suggests that his incarceration had almost nothing to do with the actual evidence but had another motivation entirely — to be revealed when the book comes out.

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/raffaele-sollecito-co-author-grotesque-miscarriage-of-justice-in-amanda-knox-trial_b47292

Interview with Andrew Gumbel about Steal this Vote (AUDIO, 30 min)

http://www.alycefaye.com/main-gumbel.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:13 pm 

"Honor Bound: My Journey to Hell and Back with Amanda Knox"
By Eric Heintz
September 19. 2012

The co-author of a new book about the Amanda Knox murder case says her former boyfriend's commitment to her eventually helped set both of them free.
Andrew Gumbel is the man who helped Raffaele Sollecito tell his side of the story. He spoke with KOMO’s Jane Shannon and Tom Hutyler

Andrew Gumbel KOMO RADIO interview (3 min 43 sec)

http://www.komonews.com/radio/shows/weisbaum-shannon/170417166.html

Transcript of the KOMO RADIO interview with Andrew Gumbel (09/19/2012)

Transcription: brmull
Post: http://www.perugiamurderfile.net/viewtopic.php?p=99751#p99751

AG - Andrew Gumbel
JS - Jane Shannon
TH - Tom Hutyler

AG: It was difficult for him to come to terms with his experience so soon after he'd come out of prison. He spent four years of his life behind bars, six of them in solitary confinement, the rest of it in a special protected wing where he was put in with the serious sex criminals, the child rapists, mafia members. It was a really horrific experience. So he wanted very badly to tell this story but he also wasn't especially well equipped to dredge back into his memory and call up everything in great detail. What became very helpful was we went through all the case files and made sure that everything was scrupulously documented and that helped his memory come back. He ended up telling really vivid stories about exactly how awful it had been and also his reaction to every stage of the legal process and how outraged he was that someone like him who, if you meet him, he's really--you can tell he wouldn't hurt a fly--he's a very gentle sweet young man, how he was depicted to be this devilish accomplice to Amanda Knox, who in turn was depicted as being some kind of depraved American she-devil. And the whole thing was colossally concocted from the beginning. It was fueled by the media, the prosecution became addicted to the coverage as much as it did to the evidence at hand, and the reality of the case, which is that this is a desperately sad but very simple break-in gone wrong turned into a murder--all of that was overlooked and these two young people who should never have been involved at all ended up paying very dearly for it.

TH: We understand this has created quite a firestorm in Italy because it really says that the police, the prosecutor--they're not painted in a very flattering light here, and they arrested him and put him in solitary confinement even though there had been no evidence tied to the crime [sic], so it sounds like he'd been kind of railroaded from the very beginning here.

AG: That's right. In Italy people are very smart. They understood what was going on but they're also afraid of the power of the prosecutor. Prosecutors in Italy are tremendously powerful. They're on a par with judges and they really answer to no one but themselves. They're in a position to arrest people, to accuse them of libel, to put them in prison, even without charge. And so there's a very cowed response. I think this book being published by a major American publisher is an opportunity to look at the case files and say this is the reality of what they did to these two young people. And it involves all kinds of strange and twisted things. One of the things that grabbed people's attention in Italy over the last couple of days is the existence--or the attempt--at a back-channel communication with the prosecution that became evident according to the lawyers who spoke to Raffaele's family, that the prosecution themselves didn't really believe that Raffaele was guilty. They were just holding him and treating him so badly with one purpose in mind which was to get him to turn on Amanda, change his testimony and say that he didn't know what she did the night of the murder or that he actively remembered her going out, and he refused to do that. And that was really the honorable stance that he took that ultimately set them free but at a terrible cost, you know, he lost four years of his life for that principled stand.

JS: Andrew, is Raffaele at all concerned about reaction in Italy to this book?

AG: Well I mean the case has been through two levels of the criminal courts. It's got one more level to go, which is the High Court, which will look at essentially the procedural correctness of what's gone before. He and his family I think they're nervous obviously, but mostly pretty confident that they will prevail there. And beyond that we were pretty careful in this book, he and I together, to base what we said on documentation, on what was on the record. Where we quoted the prosecutor it was times when he'd spoken in a context that was either official or it was in a recorded interview and we had access to the recording. So we really made sure that we just stated the facts as they were and you know there's no need to embellish anything in this story. It's quite awful enough just relying on the things we know to be true and can demonstrate to be true.

http://www.komonews.com/radio/shows/wei ... 17166.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:38 pm 

Interview with Sollecito's ghost-writer, Andrew Gumbel, on KXLY Radio Spokane
September 21, 2012

http://kxly-am.tritondigitalmedia.com/u%20...%20092112.mp3

Attachment:
GRUMBLE092112.mp3

Raffaele Sollecito: I Spent That Night With Amanda Knox
By Candace Dempsey

Interview with Andrew Gumbel, Sollecito ghost writer

Attachment:
Andrew Gumbel.jpg

Raffaele penned Honor Bound with the help of British journalist Andrew Gumbel who describes their collaboration below and the chilling final night of interrogations that put the two college students behind bars:

Andrew, how’d you land the ghostwriting job with Raffaele?

After Amanda Knox and Raffaele were released last October, it dawned on me that it would an ideal job for me to be Amanda’s ghostwriter. I’m British and lived in Italy and have written extensively about criminal justice and now I’m in the U.S. on the West Coast. So I reached out to contacts. Nothing happened. Then Sharlene Martin, Raffaele’s agent, put a notice on a list serve for literary agents and a friend saw it. I got the job.

What drew you to the case?

A number of strange coincidences. When I was 20, I was arrested in Italy (for insulting a public official). I was slapped on the back of head in exactly the way Amanda described it, and when I met Raffaele, he said he’d been hit in just the same way. That rang true for me.

When you met Raffaele, he was just coming off four years of jail. What did he seem like?

A very sweet, gentle young man. It was difficult for him to think back on the trauma and delve into the details and relive it. He had a family and everybody had an opinion about what the book should and shouldn’t be. So there was a period of getting together and talking about that.

I said to them from the outset, I need to know everything. I can’t go into this worrying or wondering if you’re holding back and not sharing with me. The family said, ‘We’ll tell you everything, We’ve nothing to hide.’ Then they made the entire case file available to me. They gave me everything.

How did you collaborate with Raffaele?

At first we worked by phone and Skype. I had only a hazy impression of him. We established rapport when Raffaele came to Los Angeles with his father (Francesco Sollecito) and sister (Vanessa Sollecito) in March 2012. He also went to Seattle for the weekend and came back.

Then I worked one-on-one with Raffaele. It was hard. He was only a few months removed from this nightmare. He knows the case well but was not on top of it the way his father was. And he was traumatized by his experience and reluctant to delve into it. Documentation was key. We went over the case chronology and the documents together. He’d say, Oh, I remember that. He would read them, go over them with me, and then give me his memories. For instance, he’d go through the interrogation and I’d show him what the police drew up.

What was the most difficult part of the book to write?

For sure, the interrogation. Raffaele hadn’t talked about that night to anyone. It wasn’t recorded. It was his words against the police. Amanda had talked about that night in detail and Raffaele never had. So we had to tread carefully. But that night was very vivid for him. He was extremely consistent in his memories. He told me the same thing every time.

Describe that interrogation, which he says took 10 hours. Why did Raffaele “crumble” and say Amanda went to work on Nov. 1, the night of the murder?

He was exhausted. He’d been in and out of the police station for three days. He arrived sometime around 11 p.m. and Amanda was with him because she had no other place to go. She was sitting and waiting. He was quizzed over and over again about his memory of the night of the crime. In his own head he got confused between Halloween and the next night. He asked to see a calendar so he could get the dates straight, but they refused. When they asked if she went to work, he was confused. He just forgot what had happened a few days earlier.

So I don’t think he broke per se. He was questioned and muddled up the events. They wanted him to tell them what Amanda did on the night of the murder. He got confused between that night and Halloween night, when Amanda did go out and didn’t return until 1 am.

What might he have done differently?

He should have had some kind of protection. He asked for a lawyer; he asked to call his dad. The police refused. They took advantage of him. They were obviously trying to implicate him and it’s not legal to interrogate someone as a suspect without formally notifying them that they are under suspicion.

Raffaele was told he was being treated only as a persona informata dei fatti, a person with relevant information. The Corte di Cassazione later ruled that the evidence gathered by the police that night was inadmissible in the criminal proceedings for precisely that reason.

He was genuinely confused about what happened that one night. The tensest part came when they handed him part of the statement that he didn’t agree with. That’s described in the book. He said, ‘This isn’t right.’

They suddenly turned from bad cops to good cops. They said don’t worry, don’t worry. It’s no big thing, just sign it.

Then they went straight to Amanda and said, ‘Look at what Raffaele told us and what he signed.’

He could hear Amanda sobbing, right? That’s one of the revelations in the book.

Yes, they were interrogated in rooms close to each other. She was crying out for help. The next morning he heard her again, crying in a holding cell, because they took him past her door to complete his arrest.

You say the police pressured him to say Amanda wasn’t with him on the night of the murder. That in jail he doubted his own memory. When did he realize for sure that she couldn’t possibly have gone out?

He went over it in his head during the first few weeks in prison. Once he realized she couldn’t have gotten back in without a key, he never wavered again.

Raffaele now believes police and prosecutor Mignini knew he was innocent and only arrested him to get to her?

Yes. Raffaele was challenged over and over, starting with his long night of interrogation in the police station, about standing up for Amanda. He was put under considerable pressure to turn against her. It seems that Amanda was the one they really wanted.

The burden of proof was on the prosecution to prove Raffaele was guilty in his own right. But prosecutor Mignini didn’t present the case that way. For Mignini, Raffaele was the findanzatino, the little boyfriend, and no motive was assigned to him. Amanda was the guilty one; Raffaele was along for the ride.

Did Mignini ever enter Raffaele’s interrogation room, as he entered Amanda’s?

No, he wasn’t present during Raffaele’s interrogation. Raffaele was never directly questioned by Mignini except in a court hearing (presided over by Judge Claudia Matteini shortly after the arrests).

Was Raffaele’s family worried when Amanda got up on the stand and testified for two days about her own interrogation?

Yes, incredibly worried. One contradiction that came out of her lips could have sunk both of them. In the end they were remarkably pleased. It didn’t pay off until the appeal, but she did brilliantly.

In Italy, the prosecution decides what to investigate. What are some loose threads they didn’t tie up?

They claimed Amanda and Raffaele left his apartment on the night of the murder. There were surveillance cameras between the two houses. The family asked to see the footage on those cameras and the prosecution didn’t want to go there. They never did have the footage released.

What is life like for Raffaele now in Italy?

Many people recognize him, especially in his hometown. They are overwhelmingly on his side. He does have some discomfort; he comes across people who think he’s guilty. His attitude is to brush it off and not let it get to him.

His first day of freedom is described in the last chapter of the book, where he describes his wonder at something as simple as iced drinks out of a refrigerator. He went back to his friends. He started a relationship, which is now over. He was thinking about his future, resetting his goals. It was only after he came to the U.S. and worked on his book that he decided to go to graduate school in Verona, where he’s now enrolled. He’s getting an advanced computer science degree. He wants to be a video game programmer.

What do you think of the sensational press coverage?

Most reporters didn’t follow the story closely enough. So the prosecution could say whatever they wanted and it would hold up. The reporters didn’t do their homework.

The British press in particular wanted to draw a wedge between Meredith’s family and the other families. The truth is they’re all victims. They all have more in common than what separates them. Some reporters had a strong sense of what the story was. Others were invested in sensationalism and used the fact that the murder victim was British to drum up some team spirit. Here are the people who killed our Meredith. I found that pretty distasteful.

The story was too good to drop. A sex game gone wrong. Students taking drugs and having sex. We’re going to go with that. And when those elements disappeared, reporters didn’t have anything interesting to work with. So they had to go with what they originally had. They participated in the demonization.

Since you’re a British journalist, have you met John Kercher, Meredith’s father, who also writes for British papers?

Never met him or spoke to him. But one of things that became very clear to me, in reading the case files, is that the Kerchers were not correctly informed about what was happening in court. I think their lawyer, Francesco Marcesca, did them a disservice. The Kerchers, in their public statements, appear to be confused about what happened and I don’t think their lawyer did a good job of informing them. Instead, the direction he led them was into getting as much money as possible by suing Raffaele and Amanda and their families. And the way to do that was to portray them as being as guilty as possible.

I didn’t reach out to them. They didn’t reach out to me. I know Raffaele and his family have reached out to them but they haven’t been interested.

It would be nice to think that the Kerchers could read this book and have some of their questions answered. It was a straightforward and awful incidence of somebody breaking into a house and looking for money and things spiraling out of control. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than that.

Any revelations you couldn’t put into the book?

There are one or two episodes we chose not to include for one reason or another, but nothing meaningful was left out. I’m satisfied that the story is as close to the truth as Raffaele knows it, as close as possible to the truth.

Do you have any worries that Honor Bound will hurt Raffaele when the Supreme Court of Italy looks at his case in March?

The decision to publish had been made before I got involved. Raffaele and his family are understandably nervous about the high court, but all informed legal opinion suggests it will be very hard to overturn the case at that point. Given the way the prosecution’s case fell apart on appeal, especially the DNA, it’s hard to imagine that the high court could argue that the decision to exonerate Amanda and Raffaele was procedurally incorrect.

From the beginning Raffaele’s lawyer, Giulia Bongiorno, said that her eye was on that court, although she would of course have liked to win at the lower level too. She was careful to do everything by the book, laying down the evidence, so her client would go free. I know the Sollecito family has a lot of faith in her. I do as well.

*Andrew Gumbel’s most recent book is Oklahoma City: What The Investigation Missed–And Why It Still Matters (April 2012).

http://blog.seattlepi.com/dempsey/2012/09/26/raffaele-sollecito-i-spent-that-night-with-amanda-knox/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:43 pm 

A short interview with Andrew Gumbel, Sollecito's ghost writer:

October 2, 2012
Local Man Co-Authors Memoir About Amanda Knox Case With Her Ex-Boyfriend (video)
CBS 2 / KCAL 9 Los Angeles

Attachment:
Co-author Gumble.png

It's been nearly a year since Italian courts exonerated American student, Amanda Knox, of murder charges. Her Italian boyfriend, who stood by her through the tabloids and trial, has written a book about what happened. KCAL9's Serene Branson talked to the co-author of that memoir.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/losangelescbs2-15750780/local-man-co-author-s-memoir-about-amanda-knox-case-with-her-ex-boyfriend-30757612.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:53 pm 

Andrew Gumbel Interview on

CelebrityCourt: AuthorChats
October 31, 2012

CelebrityCourt: AuthorChats, hosted by criminal defense lawyer Elizabeth Kelley, features in-depth interviews with authors about their books. This episode features Norman Lefstein, former dean of Indiana University School of Law, on "Securing Reasonable Caseloads: Ethics and Law in Public Defense;" and Andrew Gumbel on "Honor Bound: My Journey to Hell and Back," which he wrote with Raffaele Sollecito, Amanda Knox's co-defendant.

You can listen to his interview here (starts @ 15 min):

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/celebritycourtradio/2012/10/31/celebritycourt-authorchats

Download the Gumbel Interview or listen to it on the player below:

Attachment:
gumbel_celebrity_court.mp3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:45 pm 

Book Review:
Waiting to be Heard: A Memoir by Amanda Knox – review
By Andrew Gumbel
May 1, 2013

Knox and her boyfriend at the time, Raffaele Sollecito (whose book, Honor Bound, I co-wrote), had been locked up before a scrap of hard evidence was found against them. The forensic evidence the police eventually brought forward could not withstand the scrutiny of independent experts. Neither the prosecutors nor the first trial judge could agree on a motive that made sense of their involvement.

THE GUARDIAN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:51 pm 

Andrew Gumbel continues to write articles in support of two convicted murderers, Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, while seizing every opportunity along the way to promote and push his book, co-written with Raffaele Sollecito ("Honor Bound").

January 31, 2014

Knox and Sollecito case delivers harsh verdict on Italian justice
By Andrew Gumbel

The Italian justice system has pulled off an astonishing and unenviable feat: finding Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito guilty of murder – for the second time – without a shred of evidence to substantiate the verdict.

THE GUARDIAN

February 11, 2014

Trial By Osmosis: Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito and the Nightmare of Italian Justice
By Andrew Gumbel

Anyone following the Byzantine trials of Amanda Knox, the American exchange student accused with her onetime boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito of murdering her roommate in Perugia, will have noticed that criminal justice in Italy doesn’t work the way it does in other countries. First they were guilty, then they weren’t, now they are again.

LA REVIEW OF BOOKS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:10 pm 

Andrew Gumbel's article in the Guardian:

May 1, 2014

Amanda Knox might get the retrial she deserves if anyone looks at these 3 facts
By Andrew Gumbel

Still, the latest judicial document in the ongoing battle, a 337-page justification of the most recent convictions made public on Tuesday, marks a new low. Not only has Alessandro Nencini, the presiding judge of the Florence appeals court, apparently resorted to the same tortured logic as his predecessors; he has also stated things as fact that are manifestly and provably wrong.

THE GUARDIAN

See also: July 8, 2014 -->> viewtopic.php?p=121264#p121264

Response to Gumbel’s Guardian article

AKLWEI WORDPRESS BLOG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:25 pm 

Raffaele Sollecito and his co-author, Andrew Gumbel, are facing a possible lawsuit for defamation and libel in their book Honor Bound:

June 27, 2014

Meredith Murder: defamation of PM, Sollecito rejects accusations
By Francesca Marruco

Defamation. Raffaele Sollecito was questioned today in the early afternoon at the offices of the Prosecutor of the Republic of Florence Giambartolomei by the deputy prosecutor who accused him of defaming the prosecutor Giuliano Mignini and having vilified the Judicial Order in general and the Judicial Police, who carried out the investigation in the proceedings relating to the murder of Meredith Kercher, through some of the statements contained in the book Honour Bound written with Andrew Gumbel in English.

The book was distributed only in the United States on the basis of a specific contractual agreement with the American publishing house and in any case none of the European countries.
...another suspect, the English [writer] Andrew Gumbel, who, until recently considered untraceable, has today appointed his legal counsel, the lawyer Francesca Bacecci, whose office is domiciled in Perugia. The prosecutor must now decide, in the light of new evidence obtained, whether to archive the prosecution or ask for a trial of the suspects.

UMBRIA24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:24 pm 

July 8, 2014

Response to Gumbel’s Guardian article
By pataz1

This letter was sent to the Guardian’s Reader Editor on 4 May 2014, and again on 3 June, 2014. The Reader’s Editor did not respond to either of the email submissions.

Gumbel’s May 1st, 2014 article in the Guardian is a thinly veiled advocacy piece for Sollecito and Knox. He left out a significant phrase from a Nencini passage he cites; this phrase he omitted undermines one of his main claims.

To the Guardian:

I’m writing to you about Andrew Gumbel’s “comment” on developments in the murder of Meredith Kercher case. Gumbel writes about the recently released Nencini court motivations document, which outlines the court’s reasoning for affirming Knox and Sollecito’s conviction for the murder of Meredith Kercher.
Gumbel waits until the end of the third paragraph in his article to provide his disclaimer: that he is a co-author of the book by one of the defendants.

AKLWEI WORDPRESS BLOG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:14 am 

Raffaele Sollecisto and Andrew Gumbel have been ordered to stand trial in Florence over allegedly false claims about judiciary, the State Police, and the public prosecutor (Mignini) in their book Honor Bound:

October 8, 2014

Amanda Knox Trials / Meredith Kercher Case
Update: Oct. 8, 2014
By Andrea Vogt

Raffaele Sollecito and the U.S. based British writer Andrew Gumbel, who was the ghostwriter on Sollecito’s book “Honor Bound,” published by Simon and Schuster, have been ordered to trial in Florence over allegedly false claims about the Perugian prosecutor who secured convictions of Sollecito and Knox in the trial of first instance. The court order, signed by Florence judge Limongi and deposited in the Florence court clerk’s office September 18, sets a preliminary hearing for January 22, 2015 in Florence.

THE FREELANCE DESK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:17 am 

October 10, 2014

New trial for Raffaele Sollecito: the harmed public prosecutor will be defended by Casertani lawyers Sciascia and Cesaro

Sollecito and American journalist Andrew Paul Gumbel are accused of defamation and libel contempt for insulting the work of the judiciary and the State Police

Translation: Jools
Original post: http://perugiamurderfile.org/viewtopic.php?style=8&p=176029#p176029

The Prosecutor of the Republic in Florence asked for the remand to trial indictment against Raffaele Sollecito and American journalist Andrew Paul Gumbel, following a complaint filed by the prosecutor Giuliano Mignini, public prosecutor at the court in Perugia, who argued the case against Sollecito and Amanda Knox for the murder of British student Meredith Kercher.

Sollecito and Gumbel, authors of the book Honor Bound, published in the United States and elsewhere, will have to answer for the crimes of aggravated defamation and contempt [vilipendio] for having gravely insulted the professional conduct of the judiciary, Dr. Mignini and the State Police.

A preliminary hearing date has already been scheduled before the Florence GUP for January 22, 2015.

At trial, Dr. Mignini will propose to be the civil party with the representation of his legal advisors, Criminal lawyer Domenico Cesaro from Aversa and lawyer, Prof. Maximiano Sciascia, for their strictly civil law specialists profiles.

INTERNO18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:15 am 

January 22, 2015

Preliminary hearing: Sollecito & Gumbel face charges of defamation

Tweets from Andrea Vogt:
Andrea Vogt ‏@andreavogt

Quote:
Sollecito present at memoir defamation hearing, but not Gumbel, whose lawyer maintains he was a ghostwriter, hence not responsible.

Quote:
Florence judge requests court interpreter to translate allegedly defamatory phrases in "Honor Bound" memoir into Italian by Mar 5.

Quote:
@GiustiziaMez First there's another preliminary hearing Mar 5 where translation is discussed. Then a decision on a trial or not.

https://twitter.com/andreavogt

Read more: viewtopic.php?p=124763#p124763
Read also: viewtopic.php?p=124739#p124739

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:40 pm 

Sollecito & Gumbel trial for "Honor Bound": second preliminary hearing

March 5, 2015

Meredith murder, prosecutor asked to bring Sollecito to trial for defamation

Read more: viewtopic.php?p=125125#p125125

The preliminary hearing judge of Florence today appointed two experts in charge of translating the 17 pages of the book Honor Bound (Legati dall'onore), published in the US, where Raffaele Sollecito reconstructs his legal case related to the murder of Meredith Kercher, and for which he is being sued by the Perugian magistrate Giuliano Mignini, who was in charge of the investigation.

LA NAZIONE

Sollecito accused of defamation, the hearing

Read more: viewtopic.php?p=125132#p125132

With the preliminary hearing judge Dolores Limongi who saw fit to appoint more consultants to dig deeper into the contents of the book. One will be Barbara Ciofi (Italian), the other one - Jaine Galder (English). Who will have to deliver the transcript (work on which is set to begin around March 10) on 30 April. Even the civil party has reserved the right to appoint its own expert, as well as the defense of Raffaele Sollecito, represented by Alfredo Brizioli. Who will focus on strong advice of Dr. Giovanni Agnoloni. Next round set for 14 May.

CORRIERE DELL'UMBRIA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:26 am 

May 14, 2015

Raffaele Sollecito returned to court: he is accused of defamation

Read more: viewtopic.php?style=6&p=126948#p126948

In Florence, Sollecito appeared before the preliminary hearing judge for a hearing of the proceedings in which he is accused of defamation against the magistrate Giuliano Mignini from Perugia. During today's hearing, the defenders of Sollecito filed a statement of defense and the provisions of the judgment of the Supreme Court which definitively acquitted Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito of the charge of killing Meredith Kercher. The hearing was adjourned to June 4.

LA REPUBBLICA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:34 am 

June 4, 2015

Meredith murder, Sollecito will be tried in Florence for libel and defamation

Read more: viewtopic.php?style=6&p=127181#p127181

Defamation of Perugia magistrate Giuliano Mignini and vilification of the police are the allegations for which Raffaele Sollecito will be tried in Florence. The preliminary hearing judge of the Tuscan capital has in fact indicted him today. The case concerns some passages of the book Honor Bound: my journey to hell and back with Amanda Knox, written by Sollecito and Andrew Gumbel and published in the United States.
The first hearing was scheduled for May 2016.

LA REPUBBLICA

Tweeted by Andrea Vogt ‏@andreavogt Jun 4

Quote:
Florence court orders Honor Bound memoir authors Sollecito & Gumbel to stand trial for defamation May 13 2016.

https://twitter.com/andreavogt

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:05 pm 

May 14, 2016

Sollecito / Gumbel defamation trial (update)

Further updates from Italy. The first of the defamation trials against Mignini, that is Sollecito/Gumbel, now moved to March 03, 2017 in Florence under Judge de Cecco.

The trial was not delayed. The hearing was only to discuss the admissibility of the evidence as requested by the parties. The evidence has been admitted and so on March 3, 2017 there is the exam of the first two witnesses. Giuliano Mignini will be the first witness.

viewtopic.php?style=6&p=130672#p130672

[ 20 posts ]