Judge Massei Sentencing Report     The Meredith Kercher Fund     The Murder Of Meredith Kercher Wiki     True Justice For Meredith Kercher     Judge Nencini Sentencing Report 

Last visit was: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:55 am
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:55 am
All times are UTC

Rudy Guede interview by Franca Leosini on Rai3

Moderators: Nell, Ergon, Michael, Moderators

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]

Offline Rumpole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:29 am   Post subject: Rudy Guede interview by Franca Leosini on Rai3   

Leosini-Guede interview January 21, 2016

http://www.storiemaledette.rai.it/dl/po ... 14fff.html

FL= Franca Leosini
RG= Rudy Guede

FL: Rudy, why did you run?

RG: I ran because I feared people wouldn't believe me.

FL: (voice-over): This is how we knew Meredith Kercher, like a frozen image repeated endlessly in the media, after that night of November 1st 2007, the Halloween night of witches and ghosts. The knife stabs rained that night, abruptly interrupting her time. Meredith, 21 years, gifted with a gentle beauty that she was carrying with the confident serenity, that she would spend a life aspiring to values and culture. Precise, reserved, thoughtful, sensible in managing passions and money, Meredith appeared as a delicate oxymoron in that students microcosm, colorful and cheerfully transgressive. Amanda Knox was living in Perugia then, representative of that world, boldly unconventional, uninhibited. A British student from Southwark, a historic district South of London, from mid-September 2007 Meredith was attending in Perugia university the Italian classes for foreigners. Living in a small villa, 7, Via della Pergola, hidden there, it seemed a propitious setting for obscure follies. Meredith settled with 3 girl students like her, transferred to Perugia. Two Italians and an American from Seattle: Amanda Knox, 22 yo blond, explosive, with a scorching sensuality. For a few weeks Amanda had been flirting with Raffaele Sollecito, a 24 yo boy from Giovinazzo, Puglia, majoring in computer science. Good family, face smooth and clean, occasionally smoking a joint. Handsome boy of quiet elegance, Raffaele's figure of polite discretion, contrasted with the restless, bewitching girl of Seattle. But this is about Meredith Kercher. A tribute to that girl from England. The only victim that this tragedy ripped of her future, victim neglected, and at times forgotten. Her voice was dimmed by the blaring media, fascinated by those who occupied the sinister stage. It is with Meredith, the memories of her, that I feel the need to tell that story from the start. But without the fateful "Once upon a time", because for the first time we hear the only person who never spoke until now. The only person who takes the blame for a tragedy, for an accusation that he desperately denies.

"Black man found, black man guilty"

FL: Good evening Rudy Guede.

RG: Good evening.

FL: Is it Guéde or Guedé?

RG: I pronounce it as it is written: Gu-e-de.

FL: So I'll call you Rudy Gu-ede.

RG: Yes, I feel better identified with Gu-ede.

FL: Perfect, alright Rudy. Before starting this trip in the pain of the tragedy, that alas brought you here (Prison set), I'd like you to travel somewhere else with us. Let's go to the Ivory Coast, your faraway land, to talk about the little kid taken away from his country from the arms of his mother. Let's meet that kid who was living in the Ivory coast in that little village called Agou. At what age did you live there? There, in your land?

RG: In my land, I was about 4.

FL: Let's talk about your mother, at the age of 5 you were taken away from her. But in a corner of your memory do you still have traces of that village, the little house where you lived.

RG: Absolutely. This memory is clear both in my head and in my heart.

FL: And what should never happen to a child, happened to you. Tell us of that day that is imprinted into your soul, that has forever marked the course of your fate?

RG: That day both my mother and I received the news that I had to go to Italy. I had to abandon the Ivory Coast. I remember that scene when my aunt told my mother that I had to go to Italy live with my dad. It was a shock for my mom, that news. I remember that my mother didn't want to let me go. She didn't want her son to travel to an unknown land. I remember that scene, my aunt pulling on one side and on the other side my mom pulling, and trying to keep me.

FL: I remember, last time we met, you told me that story with a tear. You enacted that scene. You, torn between your mother and your father's sister. You told it and stretched your arms to illustrate the crucifying agony. To symbolize the suffering of that scene. You remember that.

RG: Sure.

FL: Let's say that your father called you in Italy. To be precise, he was living in Italy. He was with another woman, a new life. He wanted to offer to his son a better life, a future. You were taken away from your mother and exiled to Italy. And so at age 5 you knew what suffering was. Where was your father living?

RG: In Cantalupo di Bevagna.

FL: It's Perugia's outskirts. And then you went to Ponte San Giovanni, I think.

RG: Then I lived in Ponte San Giovanni.

FL: Which is close to Perugia too. Rudy, tell me about your father's occupation?

RG: My dad was a construction worker.

FL: So you went to live with this man who was your father but yet unknown.

RG: At first, I didn't know him.

FL: How did the relationship with your dad work? He dropped out of the blue.

RG: This relationship at first was a totally new relationship, I was just 5. I didn't even know of his existence. The idea hadn't even occurred to me that I had a father. It was a relationship, I could say, joyful and happy.

FL: So you became attached to him.

RG: Most certainly.

FL: You tell the story of your life with your father, a story you told me on a previous meeting. There are wide areas of loneliness in your story. And that loneliness wasn't helped with the turnover of women.

RG: The girlfriends of my dad. And also because, because of that perception I had, they didn't make me feel as their son. They didn't feel an inclination towards me. How can I say, I was a burden.

FL: It's an accurate expression. And your father was often on trips abroad, you were often on your own and you had to manage on your own. So what did you do Rudy? Did you talk to people about it? What did you do?

RG: Oh, no I didn't talk about it. I'd rather try to find my own solutions.

FL: Is that true that already in the third grade you had the key to your home? You'd come back to an empty home?

RG: I was a kid, even in elementary school I was self-reliant. Coming back from school, unlike my 6-7 yo classmates, I would cook pasta or an omelette for myself. I was a sort of little man.

FL: You see Rudy, eventually in a sad fairy tale comes a ray of hope. At some point you needed the presence of a woman to fill the void left by the mother figure. The fairy's name in your story is Ivana Tiberi. And I wish, Rudy, you told us about this sweet lady. And tell us how and when this lady opened wide her arms. And became a surrogate mother of sorts. Tell us about that teacher straight out of a heart novel it seems.

RG: I have known Teacher Ivana, I've known her since the third grade in Ponte San Giovanni. From then on she and all her family and close friends entered in my life as I entered into theirs.

FL: Mrs. Tiberi, your elementary school teacher adopted you affectionately. And you connected with her with a deep feeling. We'll see that this feeling is enduring and unbreakable in your life. And this bond became the home that you had lost. A family tie since you even bonded with her husband.

RG: And their son Gabriele and daughter Lucia.

FL: I had the privilege to speak at length with your elementary school teacher. Mrs. Ivana Tiberi told me private facts that you would not tell, maybe out of modesty or because of the pain that the memories summon. She said that with the help of another teacher in elementary school they found out what you were keeping behind your proud silence. She understood what you were enduring daily. She understood by witnessing you frequently come to school in the morning disheveled, bleary, with crumpled face and hair. This teacher found out the truth. With cautious subterfuge, she unveiled the situation. The fact is you were going back home late, we're not saying midnight-late, no, rather about 6 pm. You we're not going straight back home because no one was expecting you there. And to avoid being alone you were late out, probably kicking a football with your buddies. Aand so when you were out not keeping your father's rules, he would not let you in and you'd stay out alone in the dark, even in the cold, abandoned to darkness and fear. "And so", told me Mrs. Tiberi, "I started to accompany Rudy home every day." She said she'd wait until you opened the door and closed it behind you. That's how she tells the story, you remember that?

RG: I do.

FL: In the novel of your life there are sad and dark pages but there are beautiful, luminous pages as well. So you were a neglected child trapped in loneliness, a silent abandonment. But Mrs. Tiberi was not the only person who realized, the other teachers, too, noticed, the mothers, too.

RG: My schoolmates' mothers. You can say that each day I was going to a different classmate's home. In that way every moment of the day after school, I would not be alone. And this experience, as a part of my life, is deeply engraved in my heart and intense. Truly, that, that part of my life that I can now express in such a way, a linear way, is recalling painful memories together with sweet memories.

FL: You were not born rich, "the stork delivers carelessly". But you also had your lot of luck and blessing. Beyond the teacher you also had great friends.

RG: I had great friends.

FL: Especially two great friends. Gabriele, the son of your teacher, and…?

RG: Giacomo my classmate in lower secondary school who later became my best friend.

FL: Giacomo played basketball with you.

RG: Opponent.

FL: You both liked sports, you were almost a champion.

FL: Why did you give up? This could have been a career.

RG: I could have pursued that path but my life took another turn.

FL: Tell me, Rudy, among the clichés on your account, we know that at some time you were adopted, you were entrusted to a good, wealthy foster family in Perugia: The Caporali family. The social services that were following you closely decided this fostering because your father… What was the reason?

RG: The fostering was decided because, at times, my father, my father went away to the Ivory Coast. That's how the social services got involved.

FL: So you were entrusted to the Caporali family, a respectable family, well known in Perugia, company owner and also basketball sponsors.

RG: Right.

FL: Well, Rudy, transposed in our times, this is a Cinderella fairy tale. Suddenly cast into a sumptuous world of well-being. How did you live this phase?

RG: Of course, it was a traumatic phase, inasmuch as that transition from difficult and complex circumstances to a situation, I'd say, serene, even with the well-being, it wasn't easy for me. As time went by I settled rather well.

FL: They offered their warmheartedness.

RG: They sure did. But where I had been dining at friends' places and returning home alone, now, I was in a family 24/7. I realized there how much I had wanted that warmheartedness from my own family.

FL: And one day you'll build your own family. But then, Rudy, the "dolce vita" you lead in that wealthy, warm family came to an end. Why is that, Rudy?

RG: It came to an end because all the occasions when I caused them anger added up. For one, I was scoring poorly at school. I was skipping classes and roaming. All this was perceived as disrespect. I think, had I behaved so poorly as your son, you'd have reacted likewise.

FL: Sure.

RG: Then I turned 18. My 18th birthday was the legal time limit for their fostering.

FL: It had to come to this, anyway.

RG: It had to come to this, anyway.

FL: We'll go through this period quickly, the period following when you left the care of the Caporali family. The stage changed, your life changed. You went to live in Lecco with your paternal aunt. Then you went to Pavia where you found a job and a girlfriend.

RG: In Milan.

FL: How did you two meet? How did you catch her?

RG: No.

FL: No… What? Is that yes or no?

RG: No.

FL: What's this 'no'? Now you're shy with me? What? Did I ask a too private question? It's because I said "catch"?

RG: I did "catch" her, if you want to use the word.

FL: You caught her, it's a success …

RG: I had girlfriends.

FL: The Pavia episode came to an end with a bit of disappointment because after a while you lost your job, as a bartender and you lost your girlfriend, too. You returned to Perugia…

RG: I lost her because I returned.

FL: That's how a 'catcher' of girls would put it. You're back in Perugia to be reunited with your eternal good friends. The Tiberi family who welcomed you in their home, helped you and found a job for you. Here, Rudy, there is a point that I would like to raise. It's about your actions and attitude towards persons who had done so much, spent and cared so much for you, here comes my point: Periodically, and for long periods, without a word you'd vanish, without notice, you'd disappear, literally. Is that true, Rudy.

RG: 100% true.

FL: Can you offer an explanation for this behavior, these "blackouts" that swallowed you periodically.

RG: I think it takes root into the behavior of my teenage years that I carried along, that's how I would explain it.

FL: You were fleeing, maybe away from yourself in a way. It is as if your life had derailed in that phase. We can say that you hated the rules then. You'll concede that you caused mischief.

RG: See, as far as hating the rules, sure I did transgress but they were not rules concerning the violation of someone else's rights. Sure, in my teenage I committed mistakes and transgressions. When I was 19-20.

FL: Alcohol and drugs are stumbling blocks for teenagers who start to get off tracks. Let's talk about drugs, I mean beyond the occasional joint did you do drugs?

RG: Absolutely not.

FL: I mean hard drugs?

RG: Certainly not.

FL: It's a verified fact, and all your friends testified that beyond the occasional joint you never used hard drugs. And how was it with alcohol?

RG: As all the boys, I went to the pub Saturday nights, grabbed a beer. I admit I had some hangovers.

FL: Let's call a cat a cat.

RG: I certainly wouldn't get drunk downtown every week.

FL: Your close friends swear that they never saw you drunk but some girls say that they saw you often tipsy, maybe a nice word for drunk. But pot and alcohol are petty change compared to the bill the press tried to pin on your back after the tragedy. they said: Rudy Guede, sorry Gu-ede, Rudy Guede, the black man, living on theft and scam, addicted to drugs and alcohol, dedicated sinner. You knew what circulated on your account.

RG: They spread it then, later too, and today too.

FL: That was the portrait they brushed after Meredith's tragedy, in fact, beyond that profile brushed in the press, we read it even in the trial's documents, Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito allegedly associated with you in the murder of Meredith Kercher, described you textually: "Thief and expert swindler". They even say "Rudy Guede was skillful at breaking and entering". That sort of allegation. See, Rudy Guede, these were made in times of a confusion that was prevailing those days. If we could clarify the foundation, the basis of such accusation? Where? When? How? Would you have committed such larceny and the embezzlement they often mentioned?

RG: A fine question that I'd like to ask to the authors of such allegations. Well, you see, madam Leosini, I believe the type of character they portray…How did the theft happen? An addict, a drug dealer, a drunk. This type of character at least in some places in Italy, Perugia, Milan, the places I lived in, there should be traces of that.

FL: Yet, there is nothing.

RG: There is nothing. Nothing was ever found.

FL: These allegations "Thief and expert swindler", they say: "Rudy Guede was skillful at breaking and entering". This is in a sentence of the Court of Appeal relative to your alleged associate in the murder of Meredith Kercher, allegations of AK and RS.

RG: "Breaking and entering" means there should be a record charging my name, to this extent it would be several pages long, I think.

FL: It's definitely never been produced by any authority.

RG: See, it's never been produced. Then they have manipulated and distorted an event that happened to me. I told the story. It is necessary to tell things as they happened.

FL: First, let's date that event.

RG: What I'm about to tell was in…

FL: Let me tell, October, 27, 2007. Let's make it precise: 4 days before the murder of Meredith Kercher.

RG: I started out from Perugia to spend the night in Milan. I went to Milan carrying personal belongings among them a laptop. I didn't go to a disco but to what we call a 'club'. I used to listen and I still do, to hip-hop, R&B music. I entered a place with friends and at some point I lost them, I lost sight of them and didn't know where to sleep. And, inauspiciously and clumsily I trusted a person and he took me to…At first I thought they were his hosts.

FL: Who was that?

RG: Someone I had met.

FL: A man?

RG: A South-American man, unfortunately I was young and easily trusting. I trusted him and thought I'd crash at his place. Instead he took me to a kindergarten.

FL: But how did he enter there?

RG: This man opened the door.

FL: He had the keys?

RG: He sure did.

FL: Who gave them to him?

RG: He had the entrance gate key and the key of the kindergarten.

FL: How come?

RG: He said his wife was working there, that it wasn't the first time he'd accommodated people there. And I thought, who cares, it's just a night, tomorrow I'm back home. And I slept in that kindergarten. From my mistake ensued a whole chain of misunderstandings that I'll briefly explain: In the morning the owner arrived, she saw me in her office. I was worried, I went to her to explain. She called the police who took me to the station. They found my computer. I had bought it at a flea market, the type you find in Milan, Rome where you find used articles, second hand. They checked and found the computer had been stolen.

FL: Stolen in a lawyer's office.

RG: After that they took this event out of proportions, manipulated the facts to make me look like a professional thief. That was the only time the police arrested me.

FL: You were charged for theft, dealing stolen goods, carrying a weapon. "Carrying a weapon", because in that school you 'took', if not 'stole'a knife.

RG: They said I took it, they said I took it but I can explain.

FL: Did you take it?

RG: The knife was… see, when the police arrived in the confusion the knife was on that lady's table.

FL: You took it?

RG: No it had been packed, I’ll clarify: when the police arrived, my bag and the computer were on the table. They took all the items on the table and stuffed them in my bag. I don't know how that knife ended in my bag, you know why… I was charged with attempting to steal a knife, then the owner took her knife back. She told them they'd made a mistake.

FL: "Theft, dealing stolen goods, carrying a weapon" the charges against you. Not on a penal level but it weighed on you heavily on your image, and finally, well, on a penal level too.

RG: What weighed on me is how they manipulated this to serve their end. To make me look…

FL: Why would they particularly target you? You talk as if you were persecuted. Who would have wanted to persecute you that way?

Professor Claudio Mariani:

Many have described Rudy, reckless and marginal, addicted to alcohol and drugs. I've known Rudy for about 7 years. With other volunteer teachers we follow the inmates who want to study. Rudy is one of them, he's dedicated and bears a sense of responsibility. And with the excellent results that we can all witness. I wanted to understand how Rudy was, at the time of the tragedy. So, I wanted to know him personally, and his friends who have known him for 20 years. I got to know him personally and they backed up my impression. As for the accusations of theft, cunningness and skills that we can read in the newspapers, even in lines of the sentences anyone reading these statements imagines that in Rudy's record there'd be a series of thefts, yet it is not the case. At the trial in Perugia, Rudy was absolutely "without a criminal record", a circumstance that the judges, among others, confirmed. What is the unique event that formatted all Rudy's story, his image? The infamous night he spent in the kindergarten in Milan. Sure, he was caught there. But he didn't run away, as any misfit in his position would have. He patiently waited for the police. They found a computer in his possession, as we know he had acquired on the flea market, which proved later to be stolen goods. This circumstance weighed heavily on his case. Maybe he was careless in acquiring the article, yet he was charged with receiving stolen goods. But from there to conclude that Rudy is a thief, an expert, a swindler, a habitual criminal I'd say, that is far-fetched.

FL: Maybe it will be difficult for many years to talk of Perugia without evoking from the depth of our memory what will remain like a curse engraved in stone, the story of a crime that defined an era, calling us forever. It will be difficult to silence the ghosts. This is how we remember her, Meredith Kercher, the smiling photo of the little witch, her face radiates youth. She's there on that Halloween night, 1st November 2007. And now the spotlights are off. Rudy, concerning that tragic night in November, on what occasion did you meet Meredith Kercher?

RG: At the beginning of October, I'll explain why.

FL: Rudy, when the police questioned you, you declared that you first met Meredith at the beginning of October at the Marchigiani boys place.

FL: In the apartment just below Meredith on the ground level. And this is confirmed, the boys testified. Then you told the investigators that you met Meredith again in a pub. Watching a rugby match. And again the Halloween night October, 30.

FL: In a party at the Domus pub.

FL: That's where you and Meredith kissed. As you know, the fact that you met her and kissed her at the Domus pub, was not confirmed by the investigators. Sophie Purton is a friend of a friend of Meredith's who was with her that evening. It's your word against Sophie Purton's, who should we believe?

RG: Well, see, I'll tell you in all simplicity, the judges didn't believe me, but I find it difficult for Sophie Purton to have spent all the evening with Meredith. With all the disorder that was prevailing in that pub, the lights were dimmed. I don't think you are familiar with such pub or disco.

FL: No. But among other things, in your relationship with Meredith, your dating of this beautiful English girl, the lower court at your trial, Rudy, doubted the way you met Meredith.

RG: I think it's quite odd, with all due respect. That means even the Marchigiani boys are mistaken. I saw her at the Marchigiani's. Meredith would come watch me play basketball in Grimana square.

FL: There's a doubt. As regards the degree of intimacy, you talk about a kiss.

RG: Look, on the subject of that kiss.

FL: Did that kiss happen?

RG: The kiss happened. Well, look. Consider a boy of my age, I was 20 then, going to a disco, a club, there he meets a total stranger, having a kiss is not difficult. We don't need a date and candles.

FL: You see Rudy, before entering the complexity of this story that the world watched, interested in the protagonists and largely followed in the media across the Ocean, it's necessary to stress a point: Until now, everybody has spoken and particularly Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. Those the justice system described as your "presumed associates" in Meredith Kercher's murder. We've seen Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito often in press conference, participating in numerous TV broadcasts. They've written books, given interviews, promotional and not. Until this day, the one that has always kept silent is you, Rudy Guede. This here, is the first time you talk. And about this I'd like to stress that whatever the interpretations and conclusion we have heard in the trials of this tragic case that have been held for the murder of Meredith against all the three accused, what we want to look at tonight, Rudy, is your version. And we'll look at it to try and understand what happened in reality. Logically, in your version of the story what we need to know is the untold. Of course we have to draw a parallel with the procedure in contradiction with your version obviously. So, Rudy, let's get back to the facts on the basis of your reconstruction, we've spoken about how you and Meredith met and were seeing each other. You'll tell us, Rudy how you met Amanda Knox, the attractive American girl, who's destiny got entangled fatefully with Meredith Kercher's and with your destiny. Amanda and Meredith were living in the same apartment Via della Pergola with two Italian student girls. After my brief introduction, tell us how it happened.

RG: I met Amanda at the club "le Chic" at the beginning of September. I met her in that club where she was a waitress. One scene I remember, is that she approached me in that club, speaking her odd Italian, and we had a little chat. She said she was from Seattle and I had a friend there too, so a topic leading to the next, I didn't know that she was dwelling just above the Marchigiani boys in the small villa until I met the Marchigiani boys downtown mid-October. I came from another party, and that night, with the Marchigiani boys downstairs we went to their place and spent an evening with Knox. Later Meredith Kercher joined us, she came downstairs.

FL: At the Marchigiani's. You said that you had your eyes on Amanda.

RG: Well, she was a beautiful girl so …

FL: It seems that your heart was set on Amanda. Tell me, Rudy, about this meeting, this boy interest you had for Amanda, did you know she was seeing Raffaele Sollecito?

RG: No, not at that time. I don't even think they were dating because if I'm not mistaken, it turns out that she'd met Raffaele Sollecito 5 days before that sad event. So at that time, Amanda Knox was free.

FL: Did you know Raffaele Sollecito?

RG: Absolutely not.

FL: Did you know him by sight?

RG: Not even.

FL: Look, in all these years, between processes, interviews, statements, photographs, everything about Amanda was blown out of proportion.We've been flooded with details about her life, her T-shirt collection, her haircuts, her little faces and tears. But as far as Meredith is concerned, the great absent protagonist of this case, we know only a few smiles on fading photos. You, Rudy, have known her, even if, if only superficially. Could you brush her portrait for us?

RG: Well, I'll tell you something, that evening when I was at the boys' downstairs, when I saw Meredith, I have to say, you know, the first thing I asked her or stated rather, "I bet you were born in December" and I was right.

FL: How did you guess she was born in December?

RG: Because of a pattern. Almost all the girls I have seen were born in December.

FL: Winter girls, and you liked them?

RG: Yes. The type of girl she was, in our slang we say "reacheable", meaning she was serious of character, she what self-confident, she had a charisma I must say. Maybe it's her charisma that fascinated me about her.

FL: Now we reach that moment, a place and a time, Via della Pergola, November, 1st, 2007. To enter legally in a home one has to be invited in. You Rudy, were present in that home that night in November. Had you been invited?

RG: First I need to say something. The night of Halloween the Domus pub, the evening of the kiss, we agreed on a date the next day. It wasn't official dating but it was the kind of date that among young people of that age, students, one sets with another person. And so we agreed to meet the next day. And the next day I presented myself in front of Meredith's place, precisely, according to our agreement.

FL: As for how it happened, how you went to Meredith's place that evening, you've been wavering thus people didn't believe you. You said one thing, then another, then you'd met her outside the house.

RG: Yes.

FL: Your wavering statements have caused, first the investigators, then the judges to doubt you. It was a central point for the case, a subject of numerous speculations, the investigators examined it in depth to determine how you, Rudy, accessed that house Via della Pergola that night. You were there, the fact is, you were there because Meredith invited you. And in the documents of the trials we've seen fanciful versions that I'll list, narrowing it down, of course, to the essential: that you'd have entered that house clambering the wall like a gecko, to get inside and steal… whatever…, since it's not a rich mansion. Or you were called there, Rudy, at Meredith's place by Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito to serve an obscure scheme, let's articulate the reason according to the documents of the trial: for a sex party, that is a group sex game. That would be why you went to Meredith's. Let's state it again clearly, tonight: Who opened that door? And who was in that house Via della Pergola?

RG: I entered that villa, Via della Pergola November, 1st, in the evening when Meredith opened the door for me. I didn't clamber the wall like a gecko and Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito did not let me in that house either. This is it, this is my experience.

FL: These are the facts. As we've said before, in that house were living, Meredith, Amanda Knox and the Italian students, Filomena and Laura. When you and Meredith entered the house, did you find people there?

RG: No, it was only me and Meredith.

FL: And so, Rudy, according to your version of the events when you and Meredith closed the door behind you how did you proceed from there? What happened between you and Meredith?

RG: Let me tell you what happened…

FL: Just take us step by step, you entered…

RG: We entered, went to the kitchen-salon and we stayed in the kitchen-salon. I had eaten a kebab, a spicy kebab that upset my stomach and I asked for a drink, I was thirsty. She told me to help myself from the fridge. I took a fruit juice. In the meantime, Meredith had gone to her room. Her bedroom. She came back and started to complain, fulminating against Knox. I asked, what happened? Obviously there had been disagreements between the two girls. She told me, she was mad at Knox and I didn't know exactly why. She said because Knox had stolen money from her, that she was filthy, didn't clean, etc. I tried to comfort her, to bring her back to reason because these are serious accusations, stealing money. I tried to comfort her, and she calmed down. And there in the kitchen-salon we had what we young people call a "good mood", a mood of closeness that occurs between two persons. And that's it. How can I explain…

FL: Say it clearly as it comes.

RG: We got close, but there was no sexual intercourse contrary to what has been spread all these years, none at all. There was a kind of "petting", I apologize for the term.

FL: There are other terms. Preliminaries to an intercourse.

RG: Meredith asked me in English "Do you have a condom?" She asked me if I had a condom, and I said no. She didn't have any either. And like any boy who's been in such situation before with a girl, I realized the time wasn't right to move forward and so we stopped at that.

FL: You went to Meredith's on that date. You were not expecting to talk philosophy.

FL: But you didn't bring condoms, boys keep them handy, though. So you missed the best part of the evening. To quote the title of a great movie: "No Sex Please: We're British", that's a fitting expression. Now let's proceed in sequence. What happened after that unexpected suspension?

RG: We dressed up again. After a while I had to go to the bathroom.

FL: You said a kebab had upset your stomach, let's be precise, that's why you went to the bathroom as you said at the trial.

FL: So explain this crucial point about which much has been said. You went to the bathroom, could you show us on the blueprint?

RG: I'll explain, well, the kitchen-salon, a living room/kitchen, where I was with Meredith is there and when I had to go the bathroom, I asked Meredith. Meredith herself pointed me to the big bathroom, which was the closest to the kitchen-salon.

FL: Which is the bathroom furthest away from Meredith's bedroom.

FL: Rudy, as far as you remember, how many minutes did you stay in the bathroom?

RG: I can tell you how many minutes because when I entered the bathroom … Look, we're going to clarify this point now, because I'm a very clean person so I have a habit of dressing the seat with toilet paper. And while I was doing so, I heard the door bell. Meredith opened the door, and I heard an argument with Meredith, and I recognized Amanda Knox's voice, she had entered the house. Now, when I heard them both arguing, knowing that Meredith had complained a while before about the money and because (AK) was sloppy and filthy, I wasn't interested to hear more. I stayed in the bathroom. I would never have imagined that from an argument between the two girls would occur an incident. So I stayed inside.

FL: Excuse me, at this point Amanda Knox is inside the house?

RG: Sure, I positively identified AK's voice.

FL: You're sure.

RG: Absolutely positive, 101%.

FL: You're sure of that fact.

RG: Absolutely sure. Because, as I stated before, I wanted to get to know both girls, and mostly Amanda Knox.

FL: You know how important this is?

RG: I repeat it, I'm sure 101%. As I said, I stayed in the bathroom, seated on the toilet listening to my ipod. So I stayed in the bathroom, I took my own good time, for about ten to eleven minutes. I know this because I listened to three songs. I completed the first two tunes and stopped in the middle of the third. I remember the song: Lil Bow Wow "Outta my System". I remember it because the event imprinted it in my memory. I heard half of it, then I heard a scream louder than the sound played in my earphones. Bear in mind that I listen to very loud volume music. The volume on the ipod was very loud, yet I heard a voice so heart-wrenching that it alarmed me. I heard that scream and I even forgot to flush. I dressed again and went to see what had happened. Another point, important I think is, when Meredith had showed me the bathroom, the lights were on in the corridor and the kitchen. When I came out of the bathroom after I heard the scream, all the lights were off except for that in Kercher's room. Then I proceeded into the corridor. I arrived at Meredith Kercher's room. When I was at Kercher's door, I saw the back of a man. There, in my fear and agitation, I asked: "What happened?" I was about to touch that person asking "What happened?" He turned around and came at me. I backed off trying to defend… to wave my hands. Look, it happened in a flash, I didn't have time to…I asked: "What happened?" and that person turned around. It happened in a flash…and I tried to back away while protecting myself from his hands. So much so that during the interrogation and the trial I said that the moves of that person… I don't know what was in his hands., I said I thought it was a scalpel because I was cut.

FL: And when the German police arrested you, they found, they confirmed this wound on your hand. In fact you just bumped into that man…

RG: He was just trying to get out, he wasn't looking for a fight, we didn't exchange punches. That person felt he was caught red-handed. He moved to get out and I backed away to the living room and he ran out. There he said "Let's go, let's go!" Look, during my interrogation I said because that person who ran out was talking to Knox…"There's someone in the house."

FL: Could you repeat what that man said?

RG: To Knox, he said: "Let's run before they find us!" "There's someone in the house." As if he'd just told her. What I thought later, when I told what I had heard because on the spot I was experiencing something terrible and crazy, a dramatic experience and when I told that he had spoken to Knox. He told her: "Let's go, black man found"…

FL: "Black man found ..”

RG: … black man guilty". That's the way I rephrase what he said.

FL: You didn't know what had happened?

RG: When these persons went away, when they left, I was in the kitchen-salon. I entered Filomena's room to look through the window and I recognized Knox walking away. I didn't know Sollecito back then, so when they questioned me I couldn't tell them if that man was Sollecito or not. The only thing I could tell them is that the man's voice and speech were quite similar to Sollecito's, that's all I could say.

FL: You even described how he was dressed. How could you not see his face?

RG: When I bumped into him and asked "What happened?" he turned round in a flash, I had no time to see his eyes. It's not like sitting with someone and looking at his face, the color of his hair. I only had time to see that he was wearing a beret and he was wearing a brand jacket because I managed to catch a glimpse of the brand symbol and it imprinted my memory.

FL: How about his hair?

RG: He had some kind of earphones.

FL: You said you saw a hair band.

RG: He was wearing a red band…That's what I glimpsed from that person.

FL: How tall?

RG: From my angle, he was a little smaller than me. That's what I said. And when he went away. Then, from Filomena's room I tried to see them as they walked away. I then went to Meredith's room. That's when I saw her body on the floor. I saw there was so much blood that was flowing around her, instinctively, the first action that came to my mind… I realized what had happened. I went to the bathroom close to Meredith's room, I took a towel and came back. I realized there was a wound on her neck and I tried to stop the blood but it wasn't enough, so what I did, I went back to the bathroom and took another towel. I tried to stop the flow of the blood. Then I took another towel.

FL: Where was that wound?

RG: On her neck. I didn't succeed in stopping the blood from that wound. And so I tried…It was heart-wrenching, I didn't know…It's hard to talk about such heart-wrenching moment. In such moment you try your best to save a person, because one doesn't realize what happened, who did it. In that moment, I had a bit of lucidity, I tried to do the right thing, that anyone would do, help Meredith. Meredith tried to tell me something, it sounded like, "Af, af"…and I tried to write it on the wall…

FL: With her blood?

RG: Yes, with her blood, my hands were covered in blood. As I was trying to help her, I too 'soiled' my hands with her blood. And she could hardly articulate "Af, af", I tried to understand. And at some point, for a 20 yo boy, to be in such a situation, in a blink, out of a sudden, there was the shock, and fear took over. I couldn't think clearly and felt compelled to get out of the house. I went out. My biggest mistake, years later, I reflect on it, after all these years, thinking that I let fear get the best of me. The shock and all those feelings. I don't know how to express it, I feel, I feel, I didn't even do what a 6 yo would have done, call for rescue and help. I wasn't able to help Meredith. That fact is painful for me. There's… You can wonder why I ran, I fled, and all that, but in such predicament, so many things pop to one's mind, like, "Who will believe me?", or like what I had just heard "Let's run before they find us!". It so happened that fear got the best of me. It so happened that I didn't come up with the best response either to help poor Meredith, or to call someone. Maybe they'd have suspected me as they did later and to this day they still don't believe me. Well, maybe I could have done more.

FL: You could have done a lot. The only action: Call for help, because…

RG: Shock and fear got the better of me, I'd say I was overwhelmed.

FL: You said you'd been a coward, and you've been a coward because practically, I know it's easy for a person who wasn't there in the situation to give advice. There, I regret I told you, you were a coward, in fact, you said about yourself, "I was a coward", you said, "Meredith would have done for me what I didn't do for her". We know you didn't have your phone, they seized it in Milan.

RG: In Milan.

FL: You didn't have your phone, but that fact in itself is not…

RG: As I said, even a 6 yo kid would have..

FL: … would have shouted out from the window. Would have called out, called for help. Without a phone one can still call. I have to mention the doubts and questions that have been raised, the disagreement of the investigators. You rushed out of the bathroom dressing in a haste …

RG: Without flushing …

FL: …and without flushing. And the judges and before them, the investigators couldn't explain that when you bumped into that "man with the knife" you managed to identify the brand of his T-shirt (Napapijri) but failed to produce any description that would help identify that person. The judges are not well disposed towards far-fetched tales, your explanations were considered unconvincing. Another unconvincing point is that it all happened in 10 minutes, 10 or 11 according to you, that's one of the doubts of the judges. Because Amanda rang the doorbell but she was living there, she had the keys, could you explain?

RG: Simple: you enter, you open, you enter, you close and insert the key.

FL: Pardon, I didn't get that.

RG: You open the door of your house, you get in …

FL: You're talking about Meredith.

RG: Right. You enter and insert the key…

FL: So you say Meredith had inserted her key in the lock. Another of your declarations that the judges have considered false: That an event, so tragic and so violent, would happen in 10 min. More than an aggression, it is an execution.

RG: I don't know what an aggression is supposed to look like. Thank god, it never happened to me…

FL: Rudy, I have to mention the suspicions of the investigators and the judges.

RG: Sure, but they reflect yours too.

FL: Certainly, that's why we're here. It's the first time you talk, you never said that before. It's the first time you state this clearly. Let's get back to the suspicions of the judges. Practically the murderer(s) in those 10 min, entered the house, probably tried to molest Meredith, then they battered and butchered her and finally killed her. And that's why it looks like an (expeditious) execution. And then Rudy, something else about the man-with-the-knife. You have no idea who this person could be? But Amanda was there …

RG: As I said, I identified her positively, 101%. Meredith started to talk with her when I heard the door bell and Meredith opened for that person. I recognized AK's voice because I knew her. I knew her voice as I knew AK. After that as far as that second person is concerned as I said, I, when I recall that moment in my mind, I can't say I knew who he was at the time but 8 years have gone by and in 8 years a picture had time to emerge.

FL: Could you share it?

RG: I don't need to say it myself, because reading the last judgment (click here below or Google: Marasca-Bruno Motivations Report) that talks about my alleged… associates…Indeed that judgment talks about reasonable doubt considering the poor job of the investigators and because of many other factors. This judgment wouldn't say: "They're guilty". But this very judgment, if you care to read it, states clearly that they were both inside the house then. [only AK parag.9.4.1]. It's not something I say.

FL: You say "they" for that moment, the plural.

RG: Because that's what the last judgment says concerning Knox and Sollecito.

FL: You say this.

RG: And the court says it.

FL: But that's what you say now. But you'll have to admit that their fingerprints were not found. We'll deal with this chapter later. Practically, there are no doubts you were in that room.

RG: And I said it myself.

FL: You said it. You even mention what you did and, unfortunately, omitted to do.

RG: …the judgment admit that…

FL: That you didn't use the knife.

RG: I think I should clarify and inform people about this. I was judged until the third grade, convicted for complicity. Complicity for homicide and sexual violence. While the same judgment that condemned me says that Rudy Guede didn't touch the murder weapon…

FL: Absolutely.

RG: He's not the material author of the murder, he didn't kill Meredith. Written black on white.

FL: But the facts is, you ran away.

RG: As I said…as I said when you asked me first, I feared they wouldn't believe me.

FL: Obviously. You told me, "who would have believed a poor black boy?"

RG: But I need to say that in fact I didn't run because as I told you I let fear get the best of me.

FL: But that is still running. Let's start there when you left Meredith's house Via della Pergola, who was there?

RG: When I left the house, no one was there except for poor Meredith.

FL: No one was there. When you ran, if I may say, the door of Meredith's room was closed or open?
RG: Open.

FL: That's what you said before. I'd like you to use your cinematic memory and describe the terrible scene you had to leave behind. Before you left that house, in the hell of that blood, Rudy. How do you remember Meredith? Was she dressed or undressed?

RG: Meredith was dressed. She had her clothes on, her jeans. She was dressed, the way I, the way she was dressed when I entered the house with her.

FL: Indeed, there you confirm your signed statement. The young girl (Meredith) was dressed and the room was still in good order. There was only an open drawer, the bed was made, covered with a red eiderdown. This is your statement.

RG: This is my statement.

FL: You know that the judges condemned you and didn't believe that statement. They didn't believe you version of the facts. [They postulate] you participated with the two others in the sexual aggression. Even if you may not be the one, sorry, you are not the one who delivered the coup de grace. That's what the judgment says. Let's see what that heart-wrenching scene looked like at around 12:30 when they discover Meredith in the morning the next day. Indeed the scene is totally different from that which you described. Either someone was still in the house when you left or someone did some work in the house afterwards. A person who had an interest in altering the crime scene.

RG: One thing is sure: I wasn't there.

FL: Certainly, you were invited, external, with no interest in the alteration. But now we need to explain how Meredith was found the next day at 12:30. They had to break the door to enter into that bloodied room. You say you had left the door of that room…

RG: .. open …

FL: … it was locked, contrary to your statement. They had to break it to enter. I can't get into the details because these elements belong to Amanda Knox’s and Raffaele Sollecito's trial, referred to as your alleged associates in the crime. And contrary to what you told the judges, Meredith's room wasn't in tidy order but it was a total mess.

RG: A mess.

FL: Her body was on the back with a cushion under her backside. She was covered with a bright eiderdown showing only her left foot and part of her face. Contrary to your statement Meredith was not dressed, she was wearing two shirts stained with blood rolled half way up. She was quasi nude which led to accredit the sexual aggression hypothesis. She'd been left on the floor. There were two towels, Rudy, as you stated at the trial to the investigators, and they believed you. You had used them to stop the flow of her blood. Something important, Rudy, when you ran, how was Filomena's room, Meredith's roommate? In what condition? Tidy?

RG: That's the room I entered to see who was escaping…

FL: Who did you see?

RG: I saw Knox walk away with that man, that person. When I entered Filomena's room it was in tidy order. In tidy order.

FL: But instead they found Filomena's room awkwardly arranged. A staging. To simulate breaking and entering, in which way? Breaking the window of Filomena's room with a rock except that the broken pieces of glass and the rock were on top of the clothes and the items had been deliberately trashed about the room.

RG: I fancied a look at the photos, and indeed the objects were spread and the glass on top.

FL: Obviously the rock had been thrown on the window from inside and not from outside, and after the staging of that mess they craftily set up that mess to stage a breaking and entering so this staging had been designed to mislead to the hypothesis that Meredith's murder had been originally intended as a larceny that would have escalated to violence against Meredith. Did you stage that scene, Rudy?

RG: Certainly not.

FL: According to the forensics there are no traces of you in Filomena's room. Traces that would have accredited your participation in that staging. Rudy, who are the others? Who was in that room?

RG: See, Madame, we know too well how the judgment turned for Knox and Sollecito, yet the same judgment says that they were in the house. So I think, the question has to be asked to them, not to me. Especially to Knox at this point.

FL: Which is also your answer. It's clear you were there, maybe they were too. You have to respect the judgment.

RG: I do, but read the terms of that judgment (p 45, link below) especially concerning Amanda Knox. The judges say she was there because she wrote it in her diary, and stated it herself and as a result Sollecito had to be with her. This is the statement of the judges, not mine. To understand the context of a given situation, one has to read what is written. One can't select this part and disregard that other part.

FL: We cannot debate a decision of the judges. So, let's leave behind what you did on that scene that night. Then you took a train. You ended up in Germany after a few other stops. How did you arrive in Germany?

RG: I have no idea how I arrived there, I don't even have family there. It could have been Russia…

FL: I'm not interested in Germany, but in the run. You ran away out of Perugia, out of Italy, you thought you'd steer clear of your involvement in the crime.

RG: I didn't think at all, in such a moment, my concern wasn't at all that if I could run to France, Germany, the UK I'd steer clear.

FL: So what was it?

RG: I was a 20 yo boy who had witnessed a tragedy and functioning like a robot.

FL: So you were running away from yourself, from fear, horror, from that memory, from the blood.

RG: To such a point that when I realized I was in Germany, first thing I did, I skyped Giacomo for 4 hours.

FL: Because Giacomo, at that moment… because of his infinite love for you, his deep friendship, was helping the investigators to find you. Would you like to tell us what you told Giacomo? Could you tell us, of course, a summary.

RG: I told Giacomo the same facts I told you. I told him why I was in that house, how I had met Meredith, the Halloween night. Why I had entered the house. I told him everything, that I was in the bathroom when I heard the scream.

FL: But when Giacomo asked you why you ran, You answered "I was afraid they'd blame only me for the crime." The judges interpreted it, clearly, they took it as a confession.

RG: They took it as a confession, however I said it that way to Giacomo, I told him "they'd blame me only" and it also explains why I ran.

FL: Anyway you spontaneously came back to Italy.

RG: Yes, they didn't arrest me while I tried to run. I was stopped at a ticket control, close to Koblenz, if I remember.

FL: The crime scene is an open book in an eloquent language. There were enough traces of you to prove that you were there that night. The findings of the forensics: A fingerprint of yours was on the pillow case tucked under Meredith's backside. In Meredith's vagina there were no traces of your sperm. None of your sperm either on any other part of her body. However, your DNA from epithelial cells was found…

FL: …cells from your finger were found in her private parts.

RG: I don't deny there's been…

FL: You said there was only some "petting" …

RG: … in the living room…

FL: …and this intimacy led you to deposit your DNA.

RG: That intimacy occurred in the living room.

FL: It was consensual. There were also your traces on a purse which was on the bed. Your traces were on the left cuff of her blue sweatshirt. The sweatshirt was smeared with blood and next to the body. Other traces of yours on the left side of the bra, that bra was by Meredith's feet. There's something else concerning you. In her room there was a shoeprint of the Nike brand that you'd usually wear.

RG: Nike Outbreak.

FL: Your DNA was also on the toilet paper and was found in the bathroom. Probably in the bathroom you said you were before the tragedy. And in the toilet bowl were also feces that you hadn't flushed because as you stated…

RG: I rushed out.

FL: You rushed out to go to Meredith's room, alarmed by that scream you had heard. This matches your version.

RG: It matches it.

Professor Claudio Mariani:

In the trial records, the judges have often stressed that Rudy couldn't be the person who held the knife that was used to kill poor Meredith. This is an important fact. So why was Rudy condemned? Because he's an accomplice to others in a murder. And for physical violence. On this second point it's worth clarifying poor Meredith before she died, fought desperately and from that fight resulted a number of wounds on her body that are a result of violence that caused bruises on the nose, mouth, and lower maxillary, on her legs. Of all the biologic material of Rudy that was found on the crime scene, no traces were found on Meredith's face or legs. And even the experts appointed by the prosecutor from the first findings on the poor girl haven't found indisputable traces or bruises that would accredit the hypothesis of a sexual aggression. It is true that Rudy's DNA was found in her vagina, they found traces of epithelial tissues. It is most probably from cuticles coming from fingers. However, his narration is compatible with such circumstances because, see what he tells us: He tells of a carnal moment with Meredith that was totally consensual, without resistance or violence. Considering that in Meredith's pants and underwear no traces of Rudy were found. Let's reflect on the dynamics. It is very improbable to touch a girl without brushing her clothes and underwear if it's not consensual sex. I can't be sure myself that Rudy is innocent, but I have many, too many doubts about his guilt. And this, in our judicial system, is too important [to be dismissed ].

FL: So many lies have been told in this tragedy as you said, Rudy. Amanda Knox said so many, when called for questioning with Raffaele Sollecito, all concerning Meredith's atrocious death. Amanda Knox herself initiated the series of lies. She served us, no doubt, lies in the multiple versions of her confessions. She accused Patrick Lumumba of Meredith's homicide, Mr. Lumumba, 38, originally from Zaire, who ran the pub "Le Chic" where AK was working irregularly. AK paid the accusation of Lumumba with 3 years imprisonment. Rudy, why do you think AK accused Lumumba? It was a deliberate lie.

RG: In the first place, she should answer that question. Yet, I have come to a clear opinion: in that house when I bumped into that man that I didn't know and who didn't know me and who spoke with AK who was outside, and told her: "There's someone inside". I think he told her there was a person of color in the house. What I want to say is that, had Amanda Knox seen me, she'd have thrown her false accusation against me to defend herself. But when she heard there was a person of color in the house, to cover… her ass…, pardon my French, she resorted to Patrick Lumumba's name, because indeed that evening she had received a text from Lumumba telling her not to come to work. Had she received one from Michael Jordan, she'd have accused him instead.

FL: That is your version of the facts. Let it be on the record that Amanda Knox never mentioned your name in the trial, ever, you remember this?

RG: Because she herself didn't see me, because I caught them red-handed in the house, she couldn't say "Rudy". Had she seen me, she would have said "Rudy".

FL: Let's get back to the facts, on September, 16, 2008, the Court of Perugia started the trial you were charged, accusing you of an active participation, with Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, in the aggression of Meredith Kercher. An aggression with the purpose of a sexual aggression that concluded in a tragedy despite Meredith's desperate resistance. You see Rudy, tonight you express yourself with us, freely. And during the trial you were only 22. Did you managed to get the judges' attention as you did tonight?

RG: I tried, I was 20, I tried to explain why I was at that house, what happened, what I saw. Obviously I failed because in conclusion I was condemned as an accomplice with alleged perpetrators of the crime who are outside.

FL: You take full responsibility for this statement, since they were acquitted…

RG: …they are declared innocent.

FL: I read the judgment that condemned you in first grade saying that you tagged along with others rather than took yourself the initiative. It even goes further to say that you may not have been aware of the knife. A judgment clearly stating that you did not deliver the coup de grace. You received on October, 28, a life sentence, reduced to 30 years because you had chosen a fast track trial. It's important to stress that for the judges the crime that caused the death of Meredith Kercher was carried out with the complicity of other perpetrators. Said simply: For the judge who pronounced your sentence, the brutish aggression of Meredith that had to be conducted by more than one. Then on December, 28, 2009, the Court of Appeal reduced it from 30 to 16 years. Because at the time you had no criminal record and mainly owed to the assumption that you did not hold the knife. In December 16, 2010, the Supreme Court upheld it. Now. Excuse me, Rudy, why did you ask for the fast track trial?

RG: I chose the fast track because we had concluded with my counsels that every aspect of this case pointed to my non-involvement.

FL: Had you gone to the Court of Assizes like Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, maybe you could have asked to examine the witnesses, maybe cross-examine those charging you. Apart from the fact that you consider your sentence unfair, there's a responsibility for which you have to pay, for the horrific death of Meredith Kercher.

RG: As I said already at the trial, I offered my apologies to Meredith's family regarding the fact that I didn't do as much as I could have as a person should, to save another person, considering that I didn't manage to save that girl I can accept to do time, 5, 20 years, because I didn't manage to save her. No problem, I take them. But I can't take even one day of imprisonment charged with the sexual aggression and homicide of Meredith. No way.

FL: Rudy, you were tried and convicted for the murder of Meredith and in January of 2009 began, in the Court of Assizes, in Perugia the long judicial trial of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito accused in complicity with you and who claimed their innocence. Maybe few of the passionate followers of the stages of this painful case have read the judgment of the Court of Cassation. After swaying between conviction and acquittal in March 2015 after 8 years and five grades of trials your co-accused Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were finally acquitted. The verdict of Knox and Sollecito indirectly affects you Rudy. The judges of the Court of Cassation on 27 March 2015 with a judgment that is lawful in its full rights have justified their verdict and on a procedural level have finally closed this case. The action of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito had been obscured by the judges of the Supreme Court by the poor way the prosecutor of Perugia had carried out the investigations and I read the judgment: "Carried out with deplorable carelessness and blatant deficiency even with investigative amnesia and guilty omissions without which we could have ascertain from the start with sufficient reliability either the guilt or the non-involvement of AK&RS in this crime." The judges of the Supreme Court who acquitted Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, I abridge to avoid the technicalities, have stated that: Considering the lack of evidence, insufficient or contradictory, the judge had to pronounce an acquittal even if he harbored a genuine moral conviction of their guilt. In fact, the acquittal of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito evokes the old acquittal for lack of evidence. This acquittal released these two young people for their free future. See Rudy, I would sincerely have liked to be in your head when you heard the verdict. Had I been in your head, what would I have felt?

RG: What you would have felt? Beyond a reasonable doubt … I was sentenced as an accomplice.

FL: This is what you'd have felt. Duly noted. Raffaele Sollecito recently went on the media to advertise a book about his personal story on the murder of Meredith Kercher. He said and repeated a few things about you, I'll quote a few: In the television program Otto e Mezzo hosted by Lilly Gruber Raffaele Sollecito said:

RS: Meredith in my opinion has received justice because the perpetrator is incarcerated, let's not forget that Rudy Guede is in jail on a final verdict.

Lilly Gruber: But he was sentenced as an accomplice of homicide.

RS: These are details of the procedure that Professor Colombo can better explain. The final verdict of Rudy Guede does not mention anyone else. His judgment mentions that they should probably look for possible accomplices but that "probably" doesn't mean that they exist.

FL: This is what RS said, you care to comment?

RG: An idiot talks just to make noise.

FL: It's your opinion.

RG: Yes, because if we are in a State of rights and a person who hasn't done anything is charged with an accusation of complicity that isn't beyond a reasonable doubt then my legitimate question is: Wouldn't it be fair to review that person's case? Or if there's been errors in the investigation and these errors also concern me, don't you think I have a right to see my rights reviewed? So whoever comes forth and claims that justice has been served for Meredith, I think that person totally lacks common sense. The only thing I can say to Meredith's family surely as things are now, Justice has spoken, but someone is paying for a crime he hasn't committed. Meredith has yet to get justice and someone should strive to offer it to her.

FL: Raffaele Sollecito again, on another TV show, on Sunday said: "I believe Rudy Guede knows the whole truth about this case."

RG: And I believe Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito both know the truth about this case.

FL: You take responsibility for this statement.

RG: I take responsibility as Sollecito should for his words. He said what he wanted to say and I didn't sue him so I don't see why he should take offense when I say what I have to say.

FL: On 27 March 2015 the Court of Cassation acquitted Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito of the charge of homicide of Meredith Kercher, acquitted for not having committed the crime. So you see Rudy, for the justice, Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito are innocent, and quite rightly, they seek compensation for wrongful conviction, for the imprisonment. Now, you are the only one guilty, Rudy Guede.

RG: The only condemned.

FL: Yes, you're right to correct me. So you consider yourself unjustly sentenced. But one thing is certain, where Meredith was tortured, the forensics have undoubtedly found only your fingerprints, no traces or fingerprints that wouldn't be yours. So that the Supreme Court which in 2015 acquitted Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, acquitted them on the basis of lack of their biological traces at the scene. Excluding the possibility that they had selectively cleaned their own traces and fingerprints in that room, it all looks as if only you had been there. How do you explain this?

RG: To explain my presence in that room there is a reason, because those traces, the shoe print, my DNA on her purse, on her sleeve, I left them for one good reason: because I tried to save Meredith. For that matter, there are no traces of Knox in her own bedroom. Which is a strange fact.

FL: But the problem is: how do you explain that there are no traces of the others? Here is a man who can explain.

Pasquale Linarello, forensic biologist:

The investigators strictly identified the biological traces and often prioritized the blood traces and probably neglected other traces inside the room that, at the moment, didn't seem evidential. But in fact, afterwards they could have revealed as evidential as those found on the body and immediately near poor Meredith. It's possible that the traces weren't examined, because in that phase it wasn't deemed necessary to find more confirmations to the declarations. And they even had to run another inspection to find more evidence and so it is quite possible that whoever carried this inspection has privileged some traces to the detriment of others that where subsequently lost. But about the selective elimination of biologic traces, the person who would have cleaned up, would have known where they left the traces and even more improbable is the hypothesis of selective clean up and elimination because this cleanup operation of one person's traces while leaving others, would betray the traces of such cleanup during the inspection because in turn, the passage of the cleanup leaves its own traces and so the cleanup would be revealed.

FL: Your alleged associates in the crime are acquitted. Now we should reopen the investigation, find the perpetrators of the crime.

RG: I don't think we should reopen the investigation. The judges say: both were in this house, they know who the other accomplices are. So, excuse me, what investigation?

FL: That's what you say.

RG: It's not me, the judgment says it.

FL: Since you're the only one charged for a judgment that you deem unfair, in Italy there is an institution called retrial. In light of all this do you intend to call for a retrial?

RG: I think that any person who fights for his innocence should go without hesitation for a retrial. How could I sit with my hands folded and miss this opportunity?

FL: Rudy, you've been imprisoned since 2007, days and seasons pass by. Your time behind bars already amounts to eight years. It is hard emotionally. After this disaster your father has been there for you?

RG: I met with my father and we had visits at the beginning, however, though this was my choice, a choice that my father respected, I decided that considering the suffering I saw in his eyes, it would be better if he stopped the visits to this place.

FL: And your father accepted your decision?

FL: Rudy, in this lack of parental affection, you are lucky to have in Italy a mother figure since elementary school in Perugia: Mrs. Ivana Tiberi, is she still close to you?

RG: She's close, I speak with her Saturdays on the phone. Others have stayed close too, Giacomo, Gabriele…All those dear to me who kept showing me their affection.

FL: Eight years in prison are big part of a young man's life. How do you handle this?

RG: The best possible way, Madame Leosini, surrounded with my books, I attend the lessons and I help other people in difficulty, bringing assistance to someone who doesn't know anyone, has no one to call and doesn't have visits.

FL: When you entered the prison you did not study, you didn't have a passion, now you're even graduating. And you practically followed all the curriculum. Could you tell us about this curriculum?

RG: Historical sciences, international and territorial cooperation at University Roma Tre, Department of Humanities.

FL: You're also writing a very challenging thesis. What is it about?

RG: Methodology and sources of historical narrative, history and the mass media.

FL: Could you explain?

RG: How and where history is told from Herodotus to the present days.

FL: And how it should be told.

RG: And how it should be told.

FL: Here in Mammagialla to support you in your curriculum and in your journey as a person, there's a wonderful team by your side, with great competence, affection they follow you and also they reprimand you when you take it too easy. Particularly, Professor Claudio Mariani, criminologist, Mrs. Christiana Cardinali and Mrs. Valentina who is your tutor, too. Without omitting the prison management, the director, Mrs. Teresa Mascolo as well as all those who follow you with great attention. But in addition to your study at Mammagialla, you work also?

RG: Yes, I'm in charge of the cleaning in the central infirmary, both in the central infirmary and in the department of detainees.

FL: Since I have a large network of informants, I found out that you are also an artist, that you paint and even have a certain talent. I saw some of your paintings. There's so much to discover about Rudy Guede. Rudy, where is your future?

RG: My future is in my country, Italy. Because I left the Ivory Coast when I was 5 and I grew up here. I’ve spent 25 years, most of my life here. So my future can only be exclusively in Italy and especially in Ponte San Giovanni or nearby.

FL: So you'll settle there.

RG: Absolutely, for me Umbria is home, I have nowhere else. Sure, I'd like to travel, to see other countries, other people. And even though I've been extracted from the Ivory Coast, I've been implanted in Italy. Ever since I was little I have been nourished by the culture, besides the excellent pasta, nourished by this country. I feel totally Italian, there's no other place I want to be.

Translated by Eric Paroissien
Top Profile 

Offline Rumpole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:50 pm   Post subject: Re: Rudy Guede interview by Franca Leosini on Rai3   

It seems that the above linked video compilation of the subtitled interview has been removed from youtube so here are links to the earlier published separate subtitled sections:

Leosini Guede 01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCaO1pY5QBE

Leosini Guede 02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsYfgz9cDZc

Leosini Guede 03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlXlCmmb4w4

Leosini Guede 04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-QTNpOuqc

Leosini Guede 05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWahMFz-KR0

Leosini Guede 06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL6aFnvKhrI