Judge Massei Sentencing Report     The Meredith Kercher Fund     The Murder Of Meredith Kercher Wiki     True Justice For Meredith Kercher     Judge Nencini Sentencing Report 

Last visit was: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:50 pm
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:50 pm
All times are UTC

THE ISSUE OF THE ROME CRIME LAB'S ACCREDITATION

Moderators: Nell, Ergon, nicki, Michael, Forensics Moderator, Moderators

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]

Offline Michael

Site Admin

Highscores: 113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:38 pm   Post subject: THE ISSUE OF THE ROME CRIME LAB'S ACCREDITATION   

THE ISSUE OF THE ROME CRIME LAB'S ACCREDITATION

For some months now, it has been a talking point of the FOA and their followers that the Rome crime lab that performed the case forensic tests was not accredited and that this therefore somehow invalidates the test results, including crucial forensic evidence against Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito (although, unsurprisingly it doesn't invalidate the forensic evidence against Rudy Guede). What actually is accreditation, what was the situation with with the Rome lab's accreditation and how does it affect the evidence and case against Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito?

The following two posts covering this issue were written by PMF members 'Catnip' and 'Black Dog' respectively. Catnip's assessment is based on a thorough reading of Judge Massei's Motivations Report from the trial. His post was as a response to food blogger and FOA member Candace Dempsey's arguments in her book 'Murder in Italy' that the Rome crime lab did not have accreditation at the time the case evidence was tested. Black Dog's insights are based on his profession in a related field to the subject at hand.

Catnip wrote:
Re the "uncertified forensic laboratory in Rome" and how to use that as weasel words.

The "uncertified" part refers (in its denotation) to the ERT labs not being accredited with ISO compliance when the murder happened. When accreditation was eventually gained (during the trial), it was, in effect, a rubber-stamp because, practically speaking, ISO-compliant procedures were already in place and no changes were required.

To whet the appetite of anticipation, the Massei report examines in detail Dr Stefanoni's answers to questions put to her about laboratory compliance, and what that means in terms of the results she got.

The "uncertified" part (in its connotation) implies an (unspecified) incompleteness, perhaps even, therefore, the sloppiness and uncleanliness associated with sleazy motels or 1-star restaurants, and of course, an uncertified lab being "in Rome" adds that final delicate touch of innuendo that overall, in Judge Heavey's words, "poisons the well of public opinion".

Journalistically, it would have been ethical to provide the context of the discussion in court about lab standards, and the conclusion of those discussions. But that context was not provided: therefore, an "F" for journalism.

To be fair, and technically accurate, there was no actual certification at the time of collection.

And to be fair to readers (and also the accused), a writer allowing the reader to draw the (incorrect) inference that any lab results obtained without certification are therefore invalid and should be tossed out because they did not comply -- is treating the reader as a dupe and a pawn and taking advantage of their trust in the writer's use of language.

In the end, readers do not like being taken for a ride; and it certainly does not help the defence lawyers and the accused to have the case misrepresented.

Also, as an aside, she casts an indirect slur on the defence teams by suggesting "Oh, the uncertified labs", and then letting the reader infer (again) that the defence were stupid/lazy/foreign in not bringing up such an obvious objection, and having it succeed, and so getting Amanda acquitted.

I think Ms D is still a cook blogger, only now in phrases rather than recipes, as her main ingredient (and grade) is "R" for metaphorical arsenic.

In Aussie terms, her actions make her a "crook* blogger" :)
It seems to be an art form.

*as crook as a dog's hind leg

ORIGINAL POST

Black Dog wrote:
Just a comment with regard to Catnips post, Re the "uncertified forensic laboratory in Rome".
The field I work in is quality assurance - I am a quality assurance manager in the oil, gas and power generation industries and I have qualifications with regard to ISO 9001 -2000 series and I am also an IRCA registered lead auditor of ISO 9001 -2000 series.The IRCA acronym meaning: International Register of Certified Auditors.

Although laboratory testing is a different kettle of fish to gettting crude oil out from under the seabed, the ISO is the ISO.
In short the present ISO stated above is a QMS - a Quality Management System, it is based on the British Standards of Quality Management and is intended as a guideline only, i.e it is not statutory.
These guidelines are a set of predefined principles that MUST be followed if a company or organisation is to achieve or maintain ISO accreditation.
Some of the principles being: customer satisfaction, continual improvement, communication, data analysis etc.
Data analysis in this sense is a very broad term, it could mean how do you process the data you have recieved back from your customers after you had sent them a questionaire asking them if they are happy with the way the company performed with relation to the product they purchased from you.

If I were to perform an audit of a company, say for instance an internal audit of my own company (which I regularly do) I would first inform each department what I will be looking at, for example I would say to the instrument calibration lab that I am going to look at the processes they employ to track their calibrations - how they track and monitor when an instrument is due for it's recalibration for instance.
In other words the role of the ISO is not to look at how they do the calibration but to ensure a process is in place so that they will know when an item requires a calibration.
The statement "uncertified forensic laboratory in Rome" is totally irrelevant in this case and is born out of ignorance and falsity.
It is equally irrelevant as to what point in time a company has been given ISO accreditation, as accreditation is awarded once the company or organisation has demonstrated it has been operating over a period of time in full compliance with each principle and clause of the ISO.

ORIGINAL POST
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Enfield

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:42 am   Post subject: Re: THE ISSUE OF THE ROME CRIME LAB'S ACCREDITATION   

There is some concern about the quality of the work performed, certified or not. The fact that tests on the low number count DNA on the knife blade eradicated the subject so it cannot be retested is troubling. More troubling is that, while the DNA on the blade tested similar to Meredith's, it contains two peaks which are not compatible with her DNA, implying that it is far from certain that Meredith Kercher deposited that DNA. If this is true it brings into question even the gathering of the evidence. It seems strange that police chose that one knife among all the knives in Sollecito's cutlery drawer to take, and that was the one on which a very tiny amount of DNA that may have been Meredith Kercher's was discovered on the blade. One would feel more confident had they confiscated all the knives in the house and discovered that this one contained the possible DNA match. In my own country, the United States, this sort of coincidence would prompt an investigation of police procedure and police motivation. Unfortunately, in the US we have experienced a high level of police corruption in almost every city from time to time. It appears to me that in Italy the police seem to be held above reproach. I would personally not want my life and freedom to hang on the balance of so many variables without seeing them backed up by a second opinion.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Michael

Site Admin

Highscores: 113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:31 am   Post subject: Re: THE ISSUE OF THE ROME CRIME LAB'S ACCREDITATION   

I would strongly suggest reading the Massei Report Enfield.

THE MURDER OF MEREDITH KERCHER WIKI
PMF ON TWITTER
PMF FORUM RULES
Top Profile E-mail 
 Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]