Judge Massei Sentencing Report     The Meredith Kercher Fund     The Murder Of Meredith Kercher Wiki     True Justice For Meredith Kercher     Judge Nencini Sentencing Report 

Last visit was: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm
All times are UTC

Forum rules

XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 - OCT 28, 10

Moderators: Nell, Ergon, Michael, Moderators

Page 32 of 32 [ 7802 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32

Offline SomeAlibi

Highscores: 7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:14 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

"It is a beautiful grand piano placed in the center of a green and orange room, is like a black pearl on a bed of neon like moss. Black and shiny, resembles a puddle of water darken by shadows."

Oh my, for someone who is studying creative writing, she really don't know how to write, do she? Black pearl on a bed of neon like moss. No doubt she thinks this is poetic. Well Douglas Adams had it wrong: the Vogons don't write the worst poetry in the universe after all. Black pearl on a... no... it's too horrible... argh!

I can feel my lawyerly toes curling when reading this stuff from Amanda. It's really odd, disassociated stuff. There's been several occasions this has popped up: the mask of the assassin, the comments about being afraid to be along in her own head, the unwillingness to examine her own life as a continuous film-like experience but preferring to only examine approved still images. Disassociative stuff. Like being unwilling to examine what she did on that night. You'd be living on your toes with this one, never knowing what she's going to say next in a spontaneous declaration or how she's going to deem fit to dress for the day. And always, always, always, that me me me vibe to it.

"even under the disguise, I am unmistakable" - yes, you certainly are Amanda. I can explain it, if you like...

What it is is spin lent credence because it's from the mouth of a lawyer. We've seen how much gravitas they can carry merely by saying something is or is not so when often they are speaking as much rubbish as anyone else.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline SomeAlibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:42 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Mimi

Concerning the reverse contrast: if you go to the top of the page and click User Control Panel, then go to the left of the page that comes up and client Board Preferences, then the next page will give you Board Style with a drop down menu. Choosing either of the next two options other than "Extreme Dark Red" will give you a more standard webpage look. Hope that helps you.

SA

What it is is spin lent credence because it's from the mouth of a lawyer. We've seen how much gravitas they can carry merely by saying something is or is not so when often they are speaking as much rubbish as anyone else.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline stilicho

Highscores: 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:57 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

SomeAlibi wrote:
"It is a beautiful grand piano placed in the center of a green and orange room, is like a black pearl on a bed of neon like moss. Black and shiny, resembles a puddle of water darken by shadows."

Oh my, for someone who is studying creative writing, she really don't know how to write, do she? Black pearl on a bed of neon like moss. No doubt she thinks this is poetic. Well Douglas Adams had it wrong: the Vogons don't write the worst poetry in the universe after all. Black pearl on a... no... it's too horrible... argh!

I hope the appeals court tacks another two years on to her sentence for writing such horrible dreck.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline najmah80

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:59 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... death.html there are some more pics that have been updated on the mail. lots of the comments are saying the film is in very bad taste. rip meredith
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline The Machine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:07 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

najmah80 wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1324221/Hayden-Panettiere-recreates-scenes-Amanda-Knox-hours-Meredith-Kerchers-death.html there are some more pics that have been updated on the mail. lots of the comments are saying the film is in very bad taste. rip meredith

Airhead Michelle Moore made the following comment:

Independent Forensic first!!!
- Michelle Moore, Thousand Oaks, CA USA, 27/10/2010 22:47

I don't think she realises Dr.Stefanoni, Dr. Biondo et al are independent experts.

Last edited by The Machine on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top Profile 

Offline Jools

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

stilicho wrote:
SomeAlibi wrote:

I hope the appeals court tacks another two years on to her sentence for writing such horrible dreck.

One of her middle-aged groupie disagrees with you. :lol:

The book is now available in English via Kindle in Amazon. Here is Patrick King's opinion/comment on the book. (he's the groupie with the T-shirt and Panama hat in the photo gallery)
Quote:
I Genuinely Enjoyed Reading This., October 27, 2010
By Patrick King
By the advanced publicity, I expected this book to be a positive portrait of Amanda Knox. I was surprised to find it a remarkably beautiful book as well. I follow true crime stories as a kind of life long hobby, so was very intrigued by the Meredith Kercher murder when I fist heard about it. On reviewing the evidence in the case against Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, one does not need to be an FBI agent to see that something is very wrong. All this has been covered extensively elsewhere and I won't go into it now. It is only circumstantially related to this work at hand. Mr. Girlanda tells us right off that he was sent to meet Amanda Knox because of U.S. Senator from Washington State, Maria Cantwell's accusation that Knox' conviction was anti-American bias. Part of the author's political work is fostering Italian-American relations and his foundation received a flood of emails and letters expressing concern for Amanda Knox' comfort and safety. So, initially he went to meet Amanda at the behest of Secretary of State Clinton to find out if Amanda was concerned about anti-American influence at her trial. Amazingly to me, he says she does not feel angry toward Italy and would like to spend time there when she is released. She is strongly motivated to becoming an interpreter. He only speaks Italian and says she is remarkably fluent in Italian, more so than most native Italians, using a very large vocabulary. He reports that she is also studying French and is fluent in German and, obviously, English. He quotes a long a beautiful essay about her relationship with a piano player while she was studying photography. It is very moving and starts the book off. He brings her gifts of books when he comes to see her. She is a voracious reader and several of the books he first selected for her, she had already read. He also told her that a college friend of his was convicted of murdering his girlfriend but on appeal was completely exonerated. One keeps hearing stories like that about Italy's justice system. If you're interested in this case, the book is a must read. It's the portrait of a woman of very high IQ, very focused interests, who is able to concentrate on circumstances outside of her present. The book does not in any way attempt to explore the crime of which she stands convicted. Instead, it explores her life in a modern, new Italian prison. It explores her hopes for the future, her talent, and the type of person she appears to be. It is certainly the most intimate study we have had to date of this woman who has made headlines around the world. It is also authored by a man who has no attachment to her family or supporters. Mr. Girlanda was sent to check on her welfare and he found a person who interested and inspired him. He could have compiled this book in either direction of the issue. He has no incentive to tell anything but the truth as he sees it.

Amazon
bricks-)
Top Profile 

Offline capealadin

Highscores: 11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:44 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Great to hear from you, Tiziano.

Stilicho, you're too kind. Only 2 years extra for writing that merde? This *book* will bomb. It's beyond awful.

Offline H9

Highscores: 161

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:52 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

capealadin wrote:
Great to hear from you, Tiziano.

Stilicho, you're too kind. Only 2 years extra for writing that merde? This *book* will bomb. It's beyond awful.

FOA will be buying it for all their family and friends for christmas gifts!

Amazon comment : I Genuinely Enjoyed Reading This., October 27, 2010
By Patrick King

Patrick King is a masochist!
Top Profile 

Offline H9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:09 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

So Amanda has rediscovered refrigerator poetry... good on her.. but mine is better ;-)

This is Amanda in court however...

When a prosecutor interrupted her on one occasion, she reprimanded him sharply: “Can I continue?”

Francesco Maresca, representing the Kercher family, asked Knox why, as English friends of the victim have testified, she exclaimed in the offices of the Perugia flying squad only hours after the murder that Kercher must have died a slow death. Knox replied: “I heard that she had her throat slit and from what I saw in CSI these things are not quick or pleasant so I said, gosh . . . bleargh . . . this brutality, this death . . . bleargh . . . it really did shock me,” Knox replied.

The jury looked surprised at her language.

“It was a disgusting death. I imagined it was a slow death, a death that was shocking, yucky, disgusting,” Knox said, crossing her hands repeatedly in front of her chest.
Knox said she considered Kercher a friend. Had she suffered for the death of her friend, Maresca asked? “Yes, I was very shocked.” Did she remember Kercher in her daily life? “Yes I remember her; but, in the end I knew her for a month, and first of all I’m trying to get on with my life.”
Top Profile 

Offline H9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:17 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Another page for Pete's research on anti Italian stuff coming from FOA, J Beverley

This one against Mignini

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqy674/mysp ... ignini.htm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Top Profile 

Offline modest_ex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

SomeAlibi wrote:

I can feel my lawyerly toes curling when reading this stuff from Amanda. It's really odd, disassociated stuff. There's been several occasions this has popped up: the mask of the assassin, the comments about being afraid to be along in her own head, the unwillingness to examine her own life as a continuous film-like experience but preferring to only examine approved still images. Disassociative stuff. Like being unwilling to examine what she did on that night. You'd be living on your toes with this one, never knowing what she's going to say next in a spontaneous declaration or how she's going to deem fit to dress for the day. And always, always, always, that me me me vibe to it.

"even under the disguise, I am unmistakable" - yes, you certainly are Amanda. I can explain it, if you like...

If I understood right and these "essays" or whatever you'd call them were written by AK in Italian and then translated into English, then it could just be the translation, but what struck me first was the odd phrasing of the camera "hanging from her neck", sounded so much like the old traditional death sentence.

Struck me too that the snapshots vs. linear reality tell us that while she can block the complete memory of what she did out, she cannot stop seeing vivid stills from that night.

The words just all scream guilt and denial to me, and desperation to turn back time. And the need for some intensive psychotherapy or somesuch.
Top Profile 

Offline The Machine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Here is a comment from a conspiracy theorist on The London Evening Standard website:

"Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito have been crucified in the media following a campaign of smears and innuendo organised by 'friends' of the prosecution team in Italy. Their efforts are being continued by a team of people, including Harry (Rag) who pop up every time a story is published and constantly repeat lies and misleading stories. Amanda and Raffaele are innocent. They have been fitted up by corrupt and incompetent prosecuters. Everyone will acknowledge this eventually. This is not about America and Italy, it is about a miscarriage of justice that has put two innocent people in prison for three years (so far). Meredith Kercher was brutally murdered by Rudy Guede - a single assailant. End of story."

- Nigel Scott, London UK, 28/10/2010 11:04

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/a ... -for-tv.do

These conspiracy theorists never provide any proof to support their claims.
Top Profile 

Offline H9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:23 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

and steve shay again.. not getting credit for being the primo journalist

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Top Profile 

Offline stilicho

Highscores: 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:26 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

h9A7wa9i1K wrote:
“It was a disgusting death. I imagined it was a slow death, a death that was shocking, yucky, disgusting,” Knox said, crossing her hands repeatedly in front of her chest.

I'm not normally that emotional but it honestly hurts me to think that this person made the conscious choice to take Meredith's mobile phones from her room after stabbing her in the throat.

"Yucky" doesn't even begin to describe it.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline The Machine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:26 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

h9A7wa9i1K wrote:
and steve shay again.. not getting credit for being the primo journalist

Steve Shay complains that he is accused of being biased in his stories. It has been pointed out to him that he only ever interviews Amanda Knox's family, friends and supporters.
Top Profile 

Offline capealadin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:28 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Hi H9...The petty squabbling is appalling. All of them are for one upmanship. Oh, which reminds me : LEAVE THE ARCADE!! :)

Offline H9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:29 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Patrick King... sigh.. look away if not your thing... Scarlet O'Hara my foot!

Top Profile 

Offline H9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:30 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

capealadin wrote:
Hi H9...The petty squabbling is appalling. All of them are for one upmanship. Oh, which reminds me : LEAVE THE ARCADE!! :)

cape.. how did you get that one trophy for Great mahjong??? which layout did you use?
Top Profile 

Offline H9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

i would have thought Michelle would be voting for Stevie for President as he needs a job at the moment

Top Profile 

Offline H9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:50 am   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Sigh... one last piece of garbage for today... just remember you can

"Scroll on by...Scroll on by..

Top Profile 

Offline Earthling

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:03 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

stilicho wrote:
SomeAlibi wrote:

Sounds like a Monty Python sketch:

"The defendant was sentenced to 3 years for Forcible Entry and Armed Robbery, and an additional 10 years for Bad Poetry."

:D
Top Profile 

Offline SomeAlibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:24 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Jools wrote:
stilicho wrote:
SomeAlibi wrote:

One of her middle-aged groupie disagrees with you. :lol:

The book is now available in English via Kindle in Amazon. Here is Patrick King's opinion/comment on the book. (he's the groupie with the T-shirt and Panama hat in the photo gallery)
Quote:
By Patrick King
By the advanced publicity, I expected this book to be a positive portrait of Amanda Knox. I was surprised to find it a remarkably beautiful book as well. I follow true crime stories as a kind of life long hobby, so was very intrigued by the Meredith Kercher murder when I fist heard about it. On reviewing the evidence in the case against Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, one does not need to be an FBI agent to see that something is very wrong. All this has been covered extensively elsewhere and I won't go into it now. It is only circumstantially related to this work at hand. Mr. Girlanda tells us right off that he was sent to meet Amanda Knox because of U.S. Senator from Washington State, Maria Cantwell's accusation that Knox' conviction was anti-American bias. Part of the author's political work is fostering Italian-American relations and his foundation received a flood of emails and letters expressing concern for Amanda Knox' comfort and safety. So, initially he went to meet Amanda at the behest of Secretary of State Clinton to find out if Amanda was concerned about anti-American influence at her trial. Amazingly to me, he says she does not feel angry toward Italy and would like to spend time there when she is released. She is strongly motivated to becoming an interpreter. He only speaks Italian and says she is remarkably fluent in Italian, more so than most native Italians, using a very large vocabulary. He reports that she is also studying French and is fluent in German and, obviously, English. He quotes a long a beautiful essay about her relationship with a piano player while she was studying photography. It is very moving and starts the book off. He brings her gifts of books when he comes to see her. She is a voracious reader and several of the books he first selected for her, she had already read. He also told her that a college friend of his was convicted of murdering his girlfriend but on appeal was completely exonerated. One keeps hearing stories like that about Italy's justice system. If you're interested in this case, the book is a must read. It's the portrait of a woman of very high IQ, very focused interests, who is able to concentrate on circumstances outside of her present. The book does not in any way attempt to explore the crime of which she stands convicted. Instead, it explores her life in a modern, new Italian prison. It explores her hopes for the future, her talent, and the type of person she appears to be. It is certainly the most intimate study we have had to date of this woman who has made headlines around the world. It is also authored by a man who has no attachment to her family or supporters. Mr. Girlanda was sent to check on her welfare and he found a person who interested and inspired him. He could have compiled this book in either direction of the issue. He has no incentive to tell anything but the truth as he sees it.

Amazon
bricks-)

Amanda Knox has a "very high IQ"??? Hyperbole is totally the best! If Amanda Knox has a "very high IQ" then I am a potato. You may now call me Spud. If Amanda Knox had a "very high IQ" she wouldn't have fucked up her alibis so badly, would she?

Top Profile E-mail 

Offline mortytoad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:36 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Why, I'll bet that Patrick King could have written it himself.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline capealadin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:37 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

H9. Which lay out did I use..Like I'd tell you!!! :) I'm embarrassed to tell ya this, I DON'T KNOW!!! I was shocked,,shocked!! And, then, I prayed...Oh please, please. let H9 not find this one :)

Offline The Machine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:40 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Greg Burke has written a blog on the Fox News website about the film with Hayden Panettiere:

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010 ... latestnews
Top Profile 

Offline Catnip

Location: Eora, de Sydenie, 34S-151E, Nuova Gallia del Sud, het nieuw-Hollandt, Terra Australis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:40 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Vogons? Did I hear Vogons?!

Tiziano, Hi! Yay! Happy reading!
Jools and The 411: you may need to have rinse out your frontal lobes with more than a couple of spin cycles with all of that literary translating and scene dialogue going on! I'm glad you've done it!
Thoughtful: watch out for the autumn mountains!

The HP movie: some set photos in the Corriere yesterday: the Raffaele-actor (name unknown) in gold scarf and warm jacket was spot on costume-wise, but I was surprised that he was made-up to look like a drug-addict; for the Amanda-actress (Mendelssohn or something, I recall?), I wondered where the white-tutu-skirt-plus-hiking-boots-combo-with-no-jacket-in-November vanished to; and the actor co-opted to play Rudy, it was a double-surprise that the casting agent thought Ivorians and Congolese are interchangeable, and in any case he was being "acted" on by the police actors as if he were Public Enemy Number 1 (not the rapper, on second thoughts, maybe the rapper: makes him sound Americanish, doesn't it) instead of the computer-game-playing buddy-mooching fall-asleep-on-the-toilet give-up-the-day-job rather-go-to-the-disco basketball-enthusiast young lad in the designer clothes that he really is (makes him sound even more Americanish, doesn't it?: the Gen Y thing, and all that).

A five-year-old doing signatures? Nah, more like seven-years-old, and as capricious. Hand-outlining: I remember I did that, a couple of times. With crayons on big coloured paper, green neon like the middle of the room, and deep blue-sky paper as blue as a postcard of water under the snow in winter (with some pine trees dotted here and there on the hillside): I remember looking at the big and disproportionate letters of my writing, the strokes of the letters leaning at all angles like the palings of a fence that is subsiding after having seen better years, and the words forming lines like the winding of a snail's trail, and thinking albatrossy-round-the-neck thoughts, without being able to quite articulate it at that age, that just as time in its seasons will sprout roses from rose-buds, and puppies become dogs and kittens cats, and whiskers on walruses, and ships and sealing-wax and string and things, that in the cycle of years, as trees got slowly fatter and taller, so my hand-writing would improve with practice after kindergarten (It has, a bit, I can say: I can actually make out the occasional word here and there, maybe, poking out like lonely pine trees from among the indecipherable scribble in a sea of white - quite proud!)

Odd style? No, not overly so. I can hear the plink, plink, plonk, tink on the piano of someone without an emotional connect (and the subsequent disjointed memory stream that that would lay down in the soul) trying to fathom out what that connect might perhaps be like, sound like, feel like, and not quite succeeding, an unknown unknown, verging on the borders of a continent of theoretical textbook possibilities beyond which is only plain emptiness. No spark, literally. But no sadness either, because no emotion. Just nothing. Only another day. And food. Maybe a computer. And doodles and colouring-in books. Nothing to write home about, in a way, in some senses, yet something to post up on the wall and admire as the setting sun sends fading shimmering beams into the gathering darkness.

And the Moon pops out.

Last weekend, as I was going to bed and turned the light off, I noticed a piece of white plastic on the floor, from a bag or something, and I tried touching it with my foot, but it was so thin it wafted silently onto my shoe from the draft caused by the movement. But then I thought, and I reached down to pick it up, and my fingers only made contact with the carpet! It wasn't a piece of plastic bag at all, but a patch of moonlight, from the newly-risen Moon shining in low through the window! I'm getting old, to be fooled by the lovely lady Moon!

Ah, well!

Umm, what was the topic again? I seem to have meandered somewhat.
Top Profile 

Offline capealadin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:42 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

H9,It's the first time I ever played Mahjong. Here on PMF I mean. Backgammon and Holdem are my games. Do you know how DEMORALIZING it is, to see 153-5? You are amazing. Now, touch that ONE game I'm winning at, and I swear...well, I'll think of something :)

Offline capealadin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:45 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Patrick says it's BEGINNING to leak?? It's been THREE years, ferchrissakes..........

Offline capealadin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:45 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Dammit!! H9's gone. Prolly going to play MY game............

Offline bucketoftea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:00 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

"And the moon pops out."

Catnip, please stop, you're kiling me.
Top Profile 

Offline Michael

Site Admin

Highscores: 113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:16 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

h9A7wa9i1K wrote:
capealadin wrote:

cape.. how did you get that one trophy for Great mahjong??? which layout did you use?

Don't tell her Cape, she's after your trophy!!!

THE MURDER OF MEREDITH KERCHER WIKI
PMF ON TWITTER
PMF FORUM RULES
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline H9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:21 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

capealadin wrote:
H9,It's the first time I ever played Mahjong. Here on PMF I mean. Backgammon and Holdem are my games. Do you know how DEMORALIZING it is, to see 153-5? You are amazing. Now, touch that ONE game I'm winning at, and I swear...well, I'll think of something :)

First time I have played Mahjong too! seriously ... now, what layout were you playing??
Top Profile 

Offline bedelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:30 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

SomeAlibi wrote:
Quote:
By Patrick King
He only speaks Italian and says she is remarkably fluent in Italian, more so than most native Italians, using a very large vocabulary.

Amazon
bricks-)

[/quote]

She speaks more fluently in Italian than most native Italians? nw)

Umm…all it takes is this one bit of hyperbole to discredit the entire review. She can barely speak/write english properly.
Top Profile 

Offline Michael

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:40 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

From the JREF, a great post for a change:

Quadraginta wrote:
Quote:
<snip>

Mary H: It would mean nothing here. I find it hard to believe it would mean less in Italy, though, given the way the press is part and parcel of the legal system.

This is another topic which has been discussed in depth here. To deny the weight of press influence on public opinion and trial execution in the U.S. requires either a profound ignorance of American history or a willful denial. We have always had a "Crime of the Century" on a yearly or even monthly basis, at least as far back as the telegraph existed.

In recent years this trend has done nothing but accelerate. A lot. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that our various media outlets now devote more of their combined budgets to in-detail pursuit of crimes and trials, before, during, and after, than is spent in Italy on all communications of any sort, including gossip over the telephone. Once respectable in-depth news reviews are becoming little more than "true crime" magazines in dismaying numbers.

Italy may try hard, but they can only be rank amateurs and wannabes when compared to the American appetite for salacious crime stories and the catering to it by American media.

Just by way of example (Remember, argument by anecdote is evidence.) we have one nightly national "news" program, one hour long every weekday, repeated every other hour throughout the night, and rebroadcast worldwide which devoted virtually all of its airtime for nearly an entire year on nothing but the Caylee Anthony disappearance and murder. Her mother, Casey Anthony, has been in jail since the summer of 2008, and won't go to trial until the summer of next year at the earliest.

We still get regular reports on nearly every move she makes. Including how much she spends at the jail commissary and which brands of hair care products and snacks she likes.

Let's hear from Halides1 about his opinion of Nancy Grace, and about the effects of American media on American criminal proceedings. Maybe he'd like to discuss some lacrosse players as an example.

We already know far more about the Anthony case than we could ever hope to learn about Knox/Sollecito. Florida law mandates that every single document relating to the case become a matter of public record with only a couple of stringently controlled exceptions, and as soon as that documentation is released our media ensures it is available to anyone who bothers to spend five minutes on-line.

Do you think a better example can be found of press entanglement with the legal system than a state law which mandates almost immediate press access to every single detail of a case?

Do you think Anthony is guilty? Do you think she should be convicted on the evidence available. It's nearly all already public. Do you think she will be convicted? Is there "reasonable doubt"?

The sort of approaches employed here to persuade people of the injustice of Knox's arrest could even more easily be applied to the Anthony case. Beyond her demeanor and contradictory or misleading statements there is, to borrow a worn out refrain, "no evidence" of her complicity. No direct physical evidence which cannot be explained away in some other fashion.

And yet, there she is, sitting in jail for over two years ... so far ... just waiting for a chance in court, and if she so much as buys a bag of Cheetos the Grace creature or young Ms. JVM will ensure that the entire nation (and any other part of the world that wants to) knows about it within the week, if not sooner.

What about the Peterson triplets ... Scott, Drew, and Michael? How conclusive is the physical evidence in those cases. What part has the media played?

Jeffrey MacDonald found himself in a second trial after having been found innocent by the first one because his father-in-law didn't like his demeanor on TV after he went free. What part of that second-bite-at-the-apple conviction do you think the press may have played. Charlie Wilkes thinks MacDonald is guilty. So would anyone who read Fatal Vision. If they were to read Fatal Justice instead, maybe not so much.

Do you really think that the Italian press could ever hope to equal our sort of obsessive scrutiny and saturation? I don't think they could even afford it if they wanted to. The American appetite for gruesome and salacious gossip is the match of any culture in the world, and we're willing to pay to assuage that hunger. The wealthiest society in the world putting its money where its mind is. What hope could little, bitty Italy have of surpassing that?

JREF POST 12880

PMF ON TWITTER
PMF FORUM RULES
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline DJLawless

Highscores: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:47 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

[quote="mimi"]
Attachment:
wshangel.jpg
Though I greatly appreciate the intelligence and diligence displayed on this site, the reverse contrast is a challenge to my eyes, hence my infrequent visits. A few, brief responses to recent posts, and then I'll rest my weary orbs!
snip....

Hello mimi,
I used to have trouble reading at length the white text on black screen too, but you can change it there are two other options for viewing. Please look on the index page under user preferences.
Thanks for posting that drawing!
Regards,

Offline Michael

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:56 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

DJLawless wrote:
mimi wrote:
Attachment:
wshangel.jpg
Though I greatly appreciate the intelligence and diligence displayed on this site, the reverse contrast is a challenge to my eyes, hence my infrequent visits. A few, brief responses to recent posts, and then I'll rest my weary orbs!
snip....

Hello mimi,
I used to have trouble reading at length the white text on black screen too, but you can change it there are two other options for viewing. Please look on the index page under user preferences.
Regards,

The other thing, a lot of people without realising don't have the brightness on their monitors turned up high enough. Even with the standard PMF dark background style, it will not be a problem for people if they turn up the brightness on their monitors. You'll know if your monitor is bright enough if the PMF background is more of a brown or dark slate grey, rather then black. It's much easier on the eyes then. If the background is all black, then your monitor brightness is too low.

PMF ON TWITTER
PMF FORUM RULES
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline SomeAlibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:18 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Michael wrote:

Quadraginta wrote:
Quote:
<snip>

Mary H: It would mean nothing here. I find it hard to believe it would mean less in Italy, though, given the way the press is part and parcel of the legal system.

This is another topic which has been discussed in depth here. To deny the weight of press influence on public opinion and trial execution in the U.S. requires either a profound ignorance of American history or a willful denial. We have always had a "Crime of the Century" on a yearly or even monthly basis, at least as far back as the telegraph existed.

In recent years this trend has done nothing but accelerate. A lot. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that our various media outlets now devote more of their combined budgets to in-detail pursuit of crimes and trials, before, during, and after, than is spent in Italy on all communications of any sort, including gossip over the telephone. Once respectable in-depth news reviews are becoming little more than "true crime" magazines in dismaying numbers.

Italy may try hard, but they can only be rank amateurs and wannabes when compared to the American appetite for salacious crime stories and the catering to it by American media.

Just by way of example (Remember, argument by anecdote is evidence.) we have one nightly national "news" program, one hour long every weekday, repeated every other hour throughout the night, and rebroadcast worldwide which devoted virtually all of its airtime for nearly an entire year on nothing but the Caylee Anthony disappearance and murder. Her mother, Casey Anthony, has been in jail since the summer of 2008, and won't go to trial until the summer of next year at the earliest.

We still get regular reports on nearly every move she makes. Including how much she spends at the jail commissary and which brands of hair care products and snacks she likes.

Let's hear from Halides1 about his opinion of Nancy Grace, and about the effects of American media on American criminal proceedings. Maybe he'd like to discuss some lacrosse players as an example.

We already know far more about the Anthony case than we could ever hope to learn about Knox/Sollecito. Florida law mandates that every single document relating to the case become a matter of public record with only a couple of stringently controlled exceptions, and as soon as that documentation is released our media ensures it is available to anyone who bothers to spend five minutes on-line.

Do you think a better example can be found of press entanglement with the legal system than a state law which mandates almost immediate press access to every single detail of a case?

Do you think Anthony is guilty? Do you think she should be convicted on the evidence available. It's nearly all already public. Do you think she will be convicted? Is there "reasonable doubt"?

The sort of approaches employed here to persuade people of the injustice of Knox's arrest could even more easily be applied to the Anthony case. Beyond her demeanor and contradictory or misleading statements there is, to borrow a worn out refrain, "no evidence" of her complicity. No direct physical evidence which cannot be explained away in some other fashion.

And yet, there she is, sitting in jail for over two years ... so far ... just waiting for a chance in court, and if she so much as buys a bag of Cheetos the Grace creature or young Ms. JVM will ensure that the entire nation (and any other part of the world that wants to) knows about it within the week, if not sooner.

What about the Peterson triplets ... Scott, Drew, and Michael? How conclusive is the physical evidence in those cases. What part has the media played?

Jeffrey MacDonald found himself in a second trial after having been found innocent by the first one because his father-in-law didn't like his demeanor on TV after he went free. What part of that second-bite-at-the-apple conviction do you think the press may have played. Charlie Wilkes thinks MacDonald is guilty. So would anyone who read Fatal Vision. If they were to read Fatal Justice instead, maybe not so much.

Do you really think that the Italian press could ever hope to equal our sort of obsessive scrutiny and saturation? I don't think they could even afford it if they wanted to. The American appetite for gruesome and salacious gossip is the match of any culture in the world, and we're willing to pay to assuage that hunger. The wealthiest society in the world putting its money where its mind is. What hope could little, bitty Italy have of surpassing that?

JREF POST 12880

That is a great post - thanks for porting it over.

Top Profile E-mail 

Offline norbertc

Highscores: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:31 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Michael wrote:
DJLawless wrote:
mimi wrote:
Attachment:
wshangel.jpg
snip....

Hello mimi,
Regards,

The other thing, a lot of people without realising don't have the brightness on their monitors turned up high enough. Even with the standard PMF dark background style, it will not be a problem for people if they turn up the brightness on their monitors. You'll know if your monitor is bright enough if the PMF background is more of a brown or dark slate grey, rather then black. It's much easier on the eyes then. If the background is all black, then your monitor brightness is too low.

Michael,

It's obviously a trivial issue, but you might want to change the default settings. The black type on light background is far easier to work with; and the option to sort posts in descending order starting with the latest post saves a lot of time. (I silently cursed the site for months before learning about the display options.)

Just an opinion.

Norbert
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Skeptical Bystander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:39 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

SomeAlibi wrote:
Michael wrote:

Quadraginta wrote:
Quote:
<snip>

JREF POST 12880

That is a great post - thanks for porting it over.

Many US academics, including someone in the University of Washington's school of communications, have studied this phenomenon without having to look for examples beyond their own country. Indeed, we are the uncontested masters. I suggest that anyone unfamiliar with this long history of sensationalism parading as serious news in the US google "Fatty Arbuckle" and see what comes up. There are many others to choose from, of course, but this story really resonates, in particular for the way the female victim, Virginia Rappe, and the alleged male perpetrator, Fatty Arbuckle, were portrayed by the media. In addition, it is an excellent example of the US media getting enthralled with a narrative based on stereotypes and being unable to let it go. I personally think the same has happened in this case, with Amanda Knox being portrayed by and large in the way that Charlie Wilkes likes to think of her and others of her race and social class: an attractive white "honors" student with no history of violent crime, therefore innocent.

Offline Michael

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:48 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

norbertc wrote:
Michael wrote:
DJLawless wrote:
mimi wrote:
Attachment:
wshangel.jpg
snip....

Hello mimi,
Regards,

Michael,

It's obviously a trivial issue, but you might want to change the default settings. The black type on light background is far easier to work with; and the option to sort posts in descending order starting with the latest post saves a lot of time. (I silently cursed the site for months before learning about the display options.)

Just an opinion.

Norbert

In the early days of the forum I had always intended on changing the default style over. The plan was to do so after FreeForums (who were hosting us at the time) upgraded our software. However, the scheduled software upgrade didn't occur for almost a year after it had been originally scheduled. By that time, in my view, the style had cemented itself as the style of PMF...all visitors would instantly recognise it as PMF just by glancing at that style alone. I felt that were I to change it as default, it would disorient visitors. Moreover, as the default style, it is the most commonly used style by the membership. In other words, more people would be inconvenienced by my changing it as default then those who don't happen to like it (while I do get complaints about it, they are relatively few). Moreover, were I to change it it (instead of the case) would become a main point of discussion for a long period of time. Also, if you look at the host of other forums out there, you will see there's a whole plethora of different styles which indicates in turn a plethora of different tastes. No one style is going to please everyone and for every person who likes a style there's going to be someone else who doesn't. I have also designed the forum over time so that it matches that style (in the layout of things, the images used to mark forums on the index page, colour of fonts etc,). Moreover, members and visitors alike have the option to change the style if they wish. Therefore, for all those reasons, I retain the current style as the default.

PMF ON TWITTER
PMF FORUM RULES
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Clander

Highscores: 77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:52 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

bedelia wrote:
SomeAlibi wrote:
Quote:
By Patrick King
He only speaks Italian and says she is remarkably fluent in Italian, more so than most native Italians, using a very large vocabulary.

Amazon
bricks-)

Umm…all it takes is this one bit of hyperbole to discredit the entire review. She can barely speak/write english properly.

Girlanda mentioned how "perfect" Knox's Italian is right before reading her email the other evening.
He then started reading the email which contained an error in the very first sentence.
So Girlanda immediately added: "okay, it's still not perfect". ;)
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Corrina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:53 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

h9A7wa9i1K wrote:

Fiddle dee dee!
Top Profile 

Offline Skeptical Bystander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:06 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Clander wrote:
bedelia wrote:
SomeAlibi wrote:
Quote:
By Patrick King

Amazon
bricks-)

Girlanda mentioned how "perfect" Knox's Italian is right before reading her email the other evening.
He then started reading the email which contained an error in the very first sentence.
So Girlanda immediately added: "okay, it's still not perfect". ;)

Men who are hitting on foreigners always describe their skills in the local language as perfect. Sometimes they add, with a gleam in their eye, that the slight accent just adds to the charm and perfection. That's the way the world goes 'round.

Having said this, is it surprising that three years of total immersion in Italian (with no escape hatches whatsover and limited contact in her own language) have given Amanda Knox fluency? It would be far more surprising if it had not. I doubt this was how AK imagined gaining fluency in Italian, but as a method I think it would be quite effective with even the most linguistically challenged and tin-eared among us. Even Candace Dempsey would be fluent after three years in an Italian prison. Hell, even on the outside, despite all of its distractions, fluency would be achievable after three years of total immersion.

Offline stint7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:10 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Corrina wrote:
h9A7wa9i1K wrote:

Fiddle dee dee!

Patrick King's: Scarlett O'Hara ??

Prison Padre Saulo's: Choice for Virgin Mary part and a future Nun ??

Parliamentarian Rocco Girlanda's: Girl of his dreams ??

WOW...Where does it end for this unanimously convicted murderess ??

Personally, one of the earliest descriptions was probably closest to the real Amanda:

Rudy Guede's: A 'drugged up tart'
Top Profile 

Offline The 411

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:31 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

stint7 wrote:

Stint:

If we believe (some, or just this part of) Rudy's "version" of the facts--
the "drugged-up tart" epithet... came not from Rudy, but directly from MEREDITH's mouth!

One thing I do believe: Meredith definitely "got" Amanda. Meredith saw right through her.
Amanda couldn't pull the wool over Meredith's eyes, and this fact incensed AK.

Tragically, Meredith "got" AK: but she didn't "get" just how disturbed and depraved AK really was--AND STILL IS! In fact, I'd say she's MUCH MORE depraved and disturbed three years after the fact.
Top Profile 

Offline stint7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:01 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

The 411 wrote:
stint7 wrote:

Stint:

the "drugged-up tart" epithet... came not from Rudy, but directly from MEREDITH's mouth!

One thing I do believe: Meredith definitely "got" Amanda. Meredith saw right through her.

Tragically, Meredith "got" AK: but she didn't "get" just how disturbed and depraved AK really was--AND STILL IS! In fact, I'd say she's MUCH MORE depraved and disturbed three years after the fact.

Thank you (again) 411 for keeping facts in line.

As I re-read the Times Article, you (again) are exactly correct; Rudy 'claims' he was quoting Meredith:

"Rudy Hermann Guede, a suspect in the murder of Meredith Kercher in Perugia, has claimed that Ms Kercher complained to him that Amanda Knox, her American flatmate, was a "drugged-up tart". "

Interesting to me also that this Sunday Times article was one not written by their usual Italian Correspondent, John Follain.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 047497.ece

Top Profile 

Offline piktor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:04 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

The 411 wrote:
stint7 wrote:

Stint:

Which begs the question: What was Girlanda thinking?

Strangely enough, his little Knox book is not on the Italy American Foundation shopping catalog:

http://www.italiausa.org/index.php?c=shopping&pg=1
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline DJLawless

Highscores: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:13 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

OT OT OT still, regarding the great MahJong games here:

h9A7wa9i1K wrote:
capealadin wrote:

Hello cape,
With all due respect, cape, DO NOT TELL H9 what Mahjong game that was. I have been chasing H9's Mahjong scores (without success) till my fingers are permanently bent into mouse clicking position. So I repeat, cape, DO NOT TELL H9 which game it was!!! Your first place score position will be short lived for sure.

pssssst, cape; please PM the information to me though on the side. Just idle curiosity on my part of course....

Offline Solange305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:22 pm   Post subject: Re: Missing Meredith   

Earthling wrote:
I think the closest might be the way some (mostly, but not entirely, in the Black community) continued to treat OJ Simpson. Of course, he was officially acquitted, so they had more reason than with Mandy. But even that was pretty limited.

HA! You are of course right, Earthling, but you want to hear something worse? It wasn't just the black community! A couple of times OJ came into the restaurant where I worked at the time, and I cant even tell you how many white women were coming up to him and fawning over him, and I could hear them saying "We always knew you were innocent!". It was such bullshit, but everyone was so starstruck, and I still cant get over that i was in the same room with a man who had butchered two innocent people...
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline piktor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

stint7 wrote:
The 411 wrote:
stint7 wrote:

Stint:

Thank you (again) 411 for keeping facts in line.

As I re-read the Times Article, you (again) are exactly correct; Rudy 'claims' he was quoting Meredith:

"Rudy Hermann Guede, a suspect in the murder of Meredith Kercher in Perugia, has claimed that Ms Kercher complained to him that Amanda Knox, her American flatmate, was a "drugged-up tart". "

Interesting to me also that this Sunday Times article was one not written by their usual Italian Correspondent, John Follain.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 047497.ece

My problem with Guede's quote is it comes from Guede. I do not believe anything a he says, at all.

We have seen Guede, Knox and Sollecito produce nothing but self-serving lies throughout. They have no vested interest in telling the truth. I would not treat anything they say now or said in the past as reliable.

A big part of this "mystery" is the lies upon lies served by the defendants and groupies to create a fog of confusion and get them off the hook at all costs.

Believe the words of the three defendants at your own peril.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline piktor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:38 pm   Post subject: Re: XIX. MAIN DISCUSSION, AUGUST 19 -   

Michael wrote:
norbertc wrote:
Michael wrote:
DJLawless wrote:
mimi wrote:
Attachment:
wshangel.jpg
snip....

Hello mimi,
Regards,

Michael,

Just an opinion.

Norbert

In the early days of the forum I had always intended on changing the default style over. The plan was to do so after FreeForums (who were hosting us at the time) upgraded our software. However, the scheduled software upgrade didn't occur for almost a year after it had been originally scheduled. By that time, in my view, the style had cemented itself as the style of PMF...all visitors would instantly recognise it as PMF just by glancing at that style alone. I felt that were I to change it as default, it would disorient visitors. Moreover, as the default style, it is the most commonly used style by the membership. In other words, more people would be inconvenienced by my changing it as default then those who don't happen to like it (while I do get complaints about it, they are relatively few). Moreover, were I to change it it (instead of the case) would become a main point of discussion for a long period of time. Also, if you look at the host of other forums out there, you will see there's a whole plethora of different styles which indicates in turn a plethora of different tastes. No one style is going to please everyone and for every person who likes a style there's going to be someone else who doesn't. I have also designed the forum over time so that it matches that style (in the layout of things, the images used to mark forums on the index page, colour of fonts etc,). Moreover, members and visitors alike have the option to change the style if they wish. Therefore, for all those reasons, I retain the current style as the default.

Michael,

I will do a graphic example of what can be done with the current style. In painterly terms, of course!
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Michael

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:42 pm   Post subject: LOCKING THREAD!   

picture of a pumpkin
This topic has been locked by a Moderator
Reason: I am now locking this thread!

Please navigate to the brand new main discussion thread: XX. MAIN DISCUSSION, OCT 28 -

PMF ON TWITTER
PMF FORUM RULES
Top Profile E-mail 
 Page 32 of 32 [ 7802 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32